Find the Best Physics Books - Special Thanks to Micromass

In summary, this person recommends the book, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers 8th Edition" by Douglas C. Giancoli. The book uses calculus sparingly and is commonly used at universities.
Emmanuel_Euler
(special thanks to micromass and everyone who helped me or answered my questions about calculus books).

now i need a book or books about Classical or modern or general physics.

any help??

Physics news on Phys.org
is there another books??
i want textbooks

Likes Emmanuel_Euler
lonely_nucleus said:
this was my physics textbook in high school, it has a lot of math but there is no calculus involved. The book includes many applications and is not the funnest to read but it teaches well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0028267214/?tag=pfamazon01-20
thanks.

Hello, I've already got the Douglas C. Giancoli 4th edition physics book, but I'm looking for something I can use for a reference that has more detail and goes more in-depth. If you know anything I'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Bullington said:
Hello, I've already got the Douglas C. Giancoli 4th edition physics book, but I'm looking for something I can use for a reference that has more detail and goes more in-depth. If you know anything I'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
merrill physics principles and problems goes into a lot of detail

Likes Bullington and Emmanuel_Euler
Emmanuel_Euler said:
thanks.
friend if you really want to thank the replier you can like his reply.

Likes Emmanuel_Euler
can you tell me about this textbook (physics for scientists and engineers 8th edition).

Last edited:
You can find these on the used market for a handful of dollars.

Intro to physics in general: French, "Newtonian Mechanics"
Mechanics: Kleppner & Kolenkov, "Introduction to Mechanics"
EM: Kip, "Fundamentals of electricity and magnetism"
Waves: French, "Vibrations and Waves"
All-in-one tome: Ohanian, "Physics", 2nd edition

Likes Emmanuel_Euler and Bullington
SredniVashtar said:

thank you srednivashtar.
please can you tell me about this textbook (physics for scientists and engineers 8th edition)?
i want to find a good physics textbook for My cousin is is in college studying Physics.

SredniVashtar said:

The problem is the OP does not yet know Calculus. Kleppner is requires at least calculus 2. Solid books I may add. My friends favorite book is French and Purcell tw.

I would suggest trying to learn calculus before you begin to do anything else.

PLEASE can anyone tell me which textbook is good? PLEASE. PLEASE .PLEASE

thank all of you for help.

MidgetDwarf said:
The problem is the OP does not yet know Calculus. Kleppner is requires at least calculus 2. Solid books I may add. My friends favorite book is French and Purcell tw.

I was misled by the fact the the OP thanked other posters for their help with calculus books.
Physics without calculus? Ugh!
Well, French uses the minimum amount possible of calculus. Really, the bare minimum.

But in general, I believe it's simpler and more fruitful to learn calculus and then physics than trying to study physics without calculus. There's too much hoop jumping there.

BTW, I do like Purcell, but Kip has a more traditional approach, better suited IMHO for a beginner (also, you can buy it for less than ten bucks). Purcell can come after Kip (or equivalent text, even the EM part of Ohanian) and some basic introduction to special relativity.
But physics without calculus? Brrr... Makes my skin crawl.

Last edited:
Likes poseidon721
Emmanuel_Euler said:
PLEASE can anyone tell me which textbook is good? PLEASE. PLEASE .PLEASE
I love the Kleppner one. But IMHO none are good until you have a firm grasp on calculus. Personally when I started re-studying, I only concentrated on math. Otherwise it's like building a beautiful castle on a weak foundation. I'm not sure your motivation but if it's a future in physics concentrate on the calculus first.

On a side note my son did steal my book and I had to get another from Amazon because I'm OCD and that book had a spot on my shelf! I paid less than $20 with shipping. And despite him not having mastered calculus (he's 13) he seems to be enjoying my book.

Likes poseidon721, Emmanuel_Euler and lonely_nucleus
momof4 said:
I love the Kleppner one. But IMHO none are good until you have a firm grasp on calculus. Personally when I started re-studying, I only concentrated on math. Otherwise it's like building a beautiful castle on a weak foundation. I'm not sure your motivation but if it's a future in physics concentrate on the calculus first.

On a side note my son did steal my book and I had to get another from Amazon because I'm OCD and that book had a spot on my shelf! I paid less than $20 with shipping. And despite him not having mastered calculus (he's 13) he seems to be enjoying my book.
thank you for help.

lonely_nucleus said:
this one is supposed to be very good but it uses some calculus, it is very commonly used at univeristies
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321696867/?tag=pfamazon01-20
I bought that book:rolleyes:for myself.
really really helped me.again thank you my dear friend lonely nucleus,and all who helped me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can i find solution manual for university physics??

The most difficult lecture, I had to give ever was a "non-calculus physics lecture". Fortunately it was not for a whole semester but just as a substitute for a colleague for 2 or 3 sessions. If you ever had to explain what velocity and acceleration is and you are not allowed to use derivatives, you really appreciate the math very, very, very much!

1. What are some of the best physics books recommended by Micromass?

Micromass recommends the following physics books: "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "Six Easy Pieces" by Richard Feynman, "The Physics of Superheroes" by James Kakalios, and "Reality Is Not What It Seems" by Carlo Rovelli.

2. What makes these books stand out as the best in physics?

These books are highly praised for their ability to explain complex physics concepts in an engaging and accessible manner. They also offer unique perspectives and insights that make them stand out from other physics books.

3. Are these books suitable for beginners in physics?

Yes, these books are suitable for beginners as they do not require any prior knowledge of physics. They are written in a way that is easy to understand and follow, making them perfect for those who are just starting to explore the subject.

4. Do these books cover a specific branch of physics?

No, these books cover a wide range of topics in physics, from the basics of quantum mechanics and relativity to more advanced concepts in cosmology and particle physics. They provide a well-rounded understanding of the subject as a whole.

5. Can these books be used as reference materials for students or professionals?

Yes, these books can be used as reference materials for students and professionals in the field of physics. They offer in-depth explanations and discussions on various topics, making them a valuable resource for further study and research.