Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Google Chrome

1. Jan 25, 2009 #1
    Has anyone actually used Google Chrome? I have a limited monthly bandwidth allowance so I'd prefer not to download it purely for test purposes, but would like to know what you guys think of it. Please compare it with whatever other browsers you've used/are using.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2009 #2

Gold Member

It is a really stripped-down alternative to FF and IE, and it is very stable with PF chat (that kept booting me out with the other browsers). I like it. It seems to have less overhead than competing browsers, which would be a help when running on less-than-optimal systems.
  4. Jan 27, 2009 #3
    I have used it a little at my friends house but I don't like it as much as Firefox. In Firefox you can customize everything specifically for you and download tons of add-ons. My friend didn't have any add-ons for Chrome but I don't know if that's because you can't download any or if he hasn't taken the time to. Personally I think that Firefox is the best, and safest.
  5. Jan 30, 2009 #4
    Chrome is a "no frills" browser, very lean, and quicker than FF & IE. I have quit using them.

I like "Chrome."
  6. Jan 30, 2009 #5
    I liked it, but it had problems running parts of our university's online course software (we use "Blackboard" like a number of universities). Primarily because of this, I still use Firefox.
  7. Feb 1, 2009 #6
    I personally am a big fan of Chrome. Like stated above, it is quite "lean" compared to the other name browsers such as Firefox and IE, but it does not lack any of the essential features. It also contains incognito mode, but the only use that I see for that is sneaking around on the web without anyone knowing.

Anyway, those are just some my thoughts.
  8. Feb 5, 2009 #7
    Chrome is really very good. worth trying.
  9. Feb 7, 2009 #8
    I use the heck out of chrome... it's pretty smooth. It's frozen on me 1 time in 2 months of heavy use.
  10. Feb 7, 2009 #9
    It seems that the general consensus is that it isn't a bad way to go. I think I'll take it for a test run...but it will have to be TOTALLY UNBELIEVABLE to replace Firefox as my main browser :smile:
  11. Feb 8, 2009 #10
    I like firefox too, phy... i like alexa rankings on my searches so I can tell if it's a well used site. Chrome does not support alexa toolbar yet.
  12. Feb 12, 2009 #11
    Chrome is still in its infancy. Developers are still trying to make applications for it. The major advantage Chrome have over other browsers is its "sand box" concept. When a tab crashes, it does not crash your entire browser, but only that tab. Each tab is independent of the next, unlike the other browsers. I use both Chrome and Firefox extensively. I do like the ad-ons in FF, and I use foxmarks bookmark a lot. If Chrome got foxmarks, I would probably stop using FF.
  13. Feb 12, 2009 #12
    "I do like the ad-ons in FF, and I use foxmarks bookmark a lot. If Chrome got foxmarks, I would probably stop using FF."

I agree completely.
  14. Feb 14, 2009 #13
    I recommend Google Chrome it is quick, easy to use , not complicated and does not strain your system like other browsers. As said tabs are independent if one crashes the browser still displays others without a problem. However it is not much customizable as Opera or Firefox.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?