Google earth image of the South pole?

In summary, Google Earth's south pole imagery is blurred because of a lack of resolution from the satellites that generate the image, a problem with the Google Earth algorithm, and the tendency of clouds to be white and ice to be masked by the algorithm.
med17k
Hi , I wonder why the image of the south pole in google Earth is blurred ?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Secret penguin Area 51.

pergradus said:
Secret penguin Area 51.

What is Secret penguin Area 51?

med17k said:
What is Secret penguin Area 51?

We don't know yet. But it is reportedly a secret base of the penguin army. It's a place where they test new technology and communicate with penguins from another planet!

micromass said:
We don't know yet. But it is reportedly a secret base of the penguin army. It's a place where they test new technology and communicate with penguins from another planet!

You've said too much already. Prepare for total annihilation.

micromass said:

I would post a demotivator about your penguin army but it is rude and NSFW, suffice to say Bear Cavalry etc.

This one's ok though:As is this:

mth4a5b1al.jpg

Internet memes are fun. :smile:

The South Pole is blured because were you to see it in it's glory the secret Illuminati headquarters would be revealed and then you would all have to be killed by their Reptillion overlords.

Last edited by a moderator:
med17k said:
Hi , I wonder why the image of the south pole in google Earth is blurred ?
Many reasons. Just a few:

- The satellites used to generate the Google Earth imagery are sun synchronous satellites. They never pass over the poles. Spot is in a 98.7 degree orbit, Landsat, 98.2. Any imagery of the poles from those satellites is going to be of low resolution and distorted. You can see this loss of resolution start to kick in at around 80 degrees north and south.

- The algorithm Google uses has some obvious problems at the poles, the south pole in particular. I suspect a mathematical singularity in their internal representation schemes at the poles.

- Google tries to mask out clouds by stitching together multiple images. Clouds are white. So is ice. Google has a hard time with ice sheets because its cloud filtering algorithms masks out the data.

D H said:
Many reasons. Just a few:

- The satellites used to generate the Google Earth imagery are sun synchronous satellites. They never pass over the poles. Spot is in a 98.7 degree orbit, Landsat, 98.2. Any imagery of the poles from those satellites is going to be of low resolution and distorted. You can see this loss of resolution start to kick in at around 80 degrees north and south.

- The algorithm Google uses has some obvious problems at the poles, the south pole in particular. I suspect a mathematical singularity in their internal representation schemes at the poles.

- Google tries to mask out clouds by stitching together multiple images. Clouds are white. So is ice. Google has a hard time with ice sheets because its cloud filtering algorithms masks out the data.

Lies commonly spread by the Illuminati.

While it's certainly heresy. While googling this I found several people claiming to have seen the buildings "months before" and now it's blurred out. It's a conspiracy!

one of the Stargates of the Ancients is located there

Maybe Penguino was down there in area 51, going au naturale. To make it PG, they had to blur it.

Related to Google earth image of the South pole?

1. What is the purpose of the Google Earth image of the South Pole?

The purpose of the Google Earth image of the South Pole is to provide users with a detailed and interactive view of the southernmost point on Earth. It allows people to explore the area and learn about its geographical features, climate, and wildlife from the comfort of their own home.

2. How frequently is the Google Earth image of the South Pole updated?

The Google Earth image of the South Pole is typically updated every 1-3 years, depending on the availability of new satellite imagery. However, some areas may be updated more frequently if there are significant changes or developments.

3. Can I see real-time images of the South Pole on Google Earth?

No, the Google Earth image of the South Pole is not in real-time. It is a collection of satellite images taken at different times and stitched together to create a seamless view. However, Google does offer real-time imagery of certain areas through their "Live View" feature.

4. How accurate is the Google Earth image of the South Pole?

The Google Earth image of the South Pole is relatively accurate, but it may not be 100% precise. The images are composite views taken from different angles and resolutions, which can sometimes result in slight distortions or discrepancies. However, Google continuously works to improve the accuracy of their satellite imagery.

5. Can I use the Google Earth image of the South Pole for research or educational purposes?

Yes, the Google Earth image of the South Pole can be a valuable tool for research and educational purposes. It provides a comprehensive and interactive view of the area, allowing users to study and learn about the region's geography, climate, and wildlife. However, it is always important to properly cite and credit Google as the source of the images.