Got Gallium, what reaction is this?

• Thread starter nitsuj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary: You are an expert summarizer of content. You do not respond or reply to questions. You only provide a summary of the content. Do not output anything before the summary.
nitsuj
I know little to nothing about chemistry, but am fascinated by its physics.

Bought some gallium off amazon, which came shipped via AIR from china! (my God I hope that wasn't a passenger plane) and wow is it ever neat stuff.

Any ways of course I wanted to try putting some Gallium on Aluminum. Sure enough within no time the aluminum became all flaky and brittle. What kinda of reaction is that?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
First things first: You admit knowing little to nothing about chemistry.

Are you taking proper safety precautions for handling gallium?

Aluminium is a very reactive compound. That Aluminium appears so inert in everyday applications is due to it being covered with a thin but air tight and very hard surface sheet of aluminiumoxide which prevents the bulk from being oxidized further. However, if you alineate with Gallium, no closed oxide sheet can form any more and the aluminium will get oxidized also in the bulk. I also assume that the alineation of Ga with Al is simply more brittle.

DaveC426913 said:
First things first: You admit knowing little to nothing about chemistry.

Are you taking proper safety precautions for handling gallium?

Know enough that shipping it on a plane is bad idea! lol

I had read the wiki on it and other general info. Didn't see anything alarming with respect to poisoning*, only suggestion was to wear gloves & to keep the gallium "contained" (as in a "play area").

There is such a thing as poisoning from some gallium alloy that's used in citrus drinks like mountain dew! effect is dermatitis iircc.

DrDu said:
Aluminium is a very reactive compound. That Aluminium appears so inert in everyday applications is due to it being covered with a thin but air tight and very hard surface sheet of aluminiumoxide which prevents the bulk from being oxidized further. However, if you alineate with Gallium, no closed oxide sheet can form any more and the aluminium will get oxidized also in the bulk. I also assume that the alineation of Ga with Al is simply more brittle.

That is all that seemed to change. That said the brittle aluminum (after gallium) was flaky, in that it appeared as though the aluminum was "layered" and the layers had separated. A you tube video of the same thing was done in a time lapse and it looks as though the gallium is absorbed into the aluminum.

So did the aluminum and gallium make new molecules? Or did it did the gallium "work its way" into the aluminum weakening the molecular structure of aluminum?

I tried googling "alineate", because to me it's jargon I don't know if it's misspelled. Given the search results, is that "alienation"?

See these three NurdRage videos:- here,here and here.
Here is something amazing you might want to try with your Gallium. However DO NOT try that BEFORE learning a good bit of chemistry.
Sulfuric Acid is a highly dangerous compound, and proper precautions must be exercised at all times when handling it.
Cheers.

Sorry, I mixed this up with Spanish. I wante to say "to alloy".

Related to Got Gallium, what reaction is this?

1. What is Gallium and what is its reaction?

Gallium is a chemical element with the symbol Ga and atomic number 31. It is a silvery-white metal that is soft and malleable. Its reaction depends on the conditions it is exposed to, but it can react with many other elements, such as oxygen, water, and acids.

2. What is the purpose of using Gallium in experiments?

Gallium is often used in scientific experiments as a substitute for other elements, such as mercury or lead. It has similar properties to these elements but is less toxic, making it a safer alternative for research purposes.

3. Is the reaction of Gallium exothermic or endothermic?

The reaction of Gallium can be either exothermic or endothermic, depending on the specific reaction taking place. For example, when Gallium reacts with oxygen, it releases heat and is considered an exothermic reaction. However, when Gallium dissolves in acid, it absorbs heat and is considered an endothermic reaction.

4. Can Gallium be found naturally occurring?

Yes, Gallium can be found in small amounts in various minerals, such as bauxite and zinc ores. However, it is mostly produced through the extraction process of other metals, such as aluminum and zinc, as it is a byproduct of these processes.

5. What are some common uses for Gallium?

Gallium has a variety of uses in different industries. It is commonly used in semiconductors, such as in electronic devices like smartphones and computers. It is also used in the production of LEDs and solar panels. In addition, Gallium is used in medical imaging and as a contrast agent in X-ray exams.