1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GPA Required

1. Jun 7, 2005 #1
    I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but what is the lowest gpa one can have to be accepted by graduate schools in the areas of physics, mathematics, and/or computer science? I will be a junior next year and I'm majoring in physics and math/csci. But I don't regularly have the best gpa. I tend to get between 3.4 and 2.8 unfortunatly. I still have plenty of time to improve. But what are the chances of getting accepted say at a 3.3?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A 3.0 GPA will not kill your application, if other aspects of it (specifically references, GRE score) are strong. The top grad schools, however, may be reluctant.
  4. Jun 7, 2005 #3
    what about engineering?
  5. Jun 7, 2005 #4
    which one is more important?
    GRE, GPA or references?
  6. Jun 7, 2005 #5
    all to some degree, i think something like this, in order of importance:
    1. references
    2. GPA
    3. GRE
  7. Jun 9, 2005 #6
    Research experience is also very, very important. If you can do research with a prof while you're in school, do it. Also aply to REUs!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?