GR Lagrangian Part 2 Homework Statement Solution

In summary: So, the second order approximation for ##\omega## is more accurate than the first order approximation.
Malamala

Homework Statement

This is a continuation of this problem. I will rewrite it here too:
The Lagrangian density for the ##h=h^{00}## term of the Einstein gravity tensor can be simplified to: $$L=-\frac{1}{2}h\Box h + (M_p)^ah^2\Box h - (M_p)^b h T$$ The equations of motion following from this Lagrangian looks roughly like (I didn't calculate this, they are given in the problem): $$\Box h = (M_p)^{a}\Box(h^2)-(M_p)^bT$$ For a point source ##T=m\delta^3(x)##, solve the equation for h to second order in the source T, with ##M_p=\frac{1}{\sqrt{G_N}}## and calculate the correction to the Mercury angular frequency orbit around the sun compared to the first order approximation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Continuing the same logic as before I write $$h=h_0+h_1+h_2...$$ where ##h_0## is first order in T, ##h_1## is second order and so on. Before, I got for the first order $$h_0=-\frac{M_p^b m }{4 \pi r}$$ Now if we go to the second order, the equation we need to solve is: $$\Box h_1 = (M_p)^a\Box(h_0^2)$$ which is equivalent to $$\Box (h_1 - (M_p)^a h_0^2) = 0$$ $$h_1 = (M_p)^a h_0^2 + f(x)$$ where ##f(x)## is such that ##\Box f = \nabla f = 0## (I replaced ##\Box## with ##\nabla## as the source is time independent). Is it ok up to now? Now first thing I am confused about, can I discard this ##f##? in the equation of motion it seems like ##h## appear with ##\Box## so I think f will not affect the equations, but I am not 100% sure this is true. Now for the orbit, to first order I used $$m_{Mercury}\omega^2 r = \frac{m_{Mercury}}{M_p}(-\nabla h_0)$$ where that ##M_p## comes from the normalization (as I was told in the first post). And from here I got the first order approximation for ##\omega##. For the second order, I tried the same thing (this is QFT class, so I don't think I am expected to use GR, and they ask for a rough approximation, anyway) $$m_{Mercury}\omega^2 r = \frac{m_{Mercury}}{M_p}(-\nabla (h_0+h_1))$$ However something is wrong as the correction should be very small, however, ##h_1## going like ##h_0^2##, contains ##m^2## which here m is the mass of the sun so overall, the value of ##h_1## is bigger than ##h_0## which doesn't make sense for a second order correction. What is wrong with my calculations? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since ##h_0 \ll 1##, clearly ##h_0^2 \ll h_0##.

What is a GR Lagrangian?

A GR Lagrangian is a mathematical expression used in the theory of General Relativity to describe the dynamics of a system. It is derived from the principle of least action, where the path a system takes is the one that minimizes the action integral, which is a measure of the system's behavior.

What is the purpose of Part 2 of the GR Lagrangian homework statement?

Part 2 of the GR Lagrangian homework statement is designed to test your understanding of the concept and application of the GR Lagrangian. It presents a more complex system, requiring you to use your knowledge and skills to derive the equations of motion.

How can I approach solving the GR Lagrangian homework statement?

The best way to approach solving the GR Lagrangian homework statement is to first review the relevant concepts and equations, and then break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. It may also be helpful to consult with classmates or a professor for guidance and clarification.

What are some common challenges when solving the GR Lagrangian homework statement?

Some common challenges when solving the GR Lagrangian homework statement include understanding the physical system being described, correctly setting up the equations of motion, and applying the principles of the Lagrangian formalism. It may also be challenging to keep track of all the variables and terms in the equations.

How can I check my solution to the GR Lagrangian homework statement?

You can check your solution to the GR Lagrangian homework statement by comparing your results to those of your classmates or a reliable source, such as a textbook or online resource. It may also be helpful to double check your calculations and ensure that all the necessary equations and principles have been applied correctly.