GR: Using Earth as a Reference Frame - Q&A

In summary: In the rotating frame, all things appear to be moving. In fact, the Sun moves at a speed of about 11,000 km/s around the center of the Milky Way. But, because we are situated within the Milky Way, we see it as rotating around us once a day. So, everything in the rotating frame appears to be moving.
Emanphys
I'm trying to get my head around GR. As I understand it, any frame of reference is as valid as any other for modeling the universe. Therefore, it is valid to use a non-rotating Earth as a frame of reference, and try to model the movement that is seen from this frame.

But if that is true, I would view the Sun as rotating around the Earth once a day. That would that mean that the Sun would be moving at approximately 11,000 Km/s if you do the math. That doesn't seem very reasonable, but even worse is if you start thinking about stars that are further away. If you calculate their speed, they must be moving faster than the speed of light, in order to orbit the Earth in a single day. How can this be possible?

Can anyone please explain how to resolve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Emanphys said:
How can this be possible?

Because you are using a non-inertial frame, and non-inertial frames work differently from inertial frames. If you want to impose the "nothing travels faster than light" rule in GR generally, you have to generalize it from the rule you are used to for inertial frames. The generalized rule is, heuristically, that nothing can go faster than a light ray that is co-located with it; but that light rays themselves can move at coordinate speeds that exceed ##c##, if you are using non-inertial coordinates. So in the case of distant stars in the "Earth rest frame", where the stars are moving and the Earth is not rotating, the stars could be moving faster than ##c## in coordinate terms--but the light being emitted by those stars would be moving even faster in coordinate terms, at least when it was co-located with the stars. (As the light from the stars travels towards Earth, it would slow down, in coordinate terms--so in non-inertial frames the coordinate speed of light is also not the same everywhere, it varies with location.)

Likes Orodruin
Thanks for the responses. You've given me more directions to pursue.

Emanphys said:
Thanks for the responses. You've given me more directions to pursue.
I wouldn't get too excited about the meaning of "valid". You can analyse any situation from any reference frame. In fact, as we sit here on Earth we are effectively obliged to view the rest of the universe rotating around us.

1. What is GR and why is it important?

GR stands for general relativity and it is a scientific theory that explains the force of gravity and how it affects the motion of objects. It is important because it is the most accurate theory we have for understanding the behavior of large objects in the universe, such as planets, stars, and galaxies.

2. How does GR use Earth as a reference frame?

In GR, Earth is used as a reference frame because it is a large, solid object with a relatively constant gravitational field. This makes it a useful point of comparison for understanding how gravity works and how it affects other objects in the universe.

3. Can GR be used to understand the motion of objects in space?

Yes, GR can be used to understand the motion of objects in space. It predicts how the gravitational pull of large objects, such as planets and stars, affects the motion of smaller objects, such as satellites and spacecraft.

4. How does GR differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

GR differs from Newton's theory of gravity in that it takes into account the effects of space and time on the force of gravity. Newton's theory is based on the idea of a static, absolute space and time, while GR describes gravity as a curvature of space-time caused by the presence of mass and energy.

5. Is GR a proven theory?

Yes, GR is a proven theory. It has been extensively tested and has been shown to accurately predict the motion of objects in space, the bending of light by gravity, and other phenomena. The theory has also been confirmed by numerous experiments, including the detection of gravitational waves in 2015.