Graceful exit of a cosmological inflation model

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of determining whether a cosmological inflation model gracefully exits or not. The main source of information mentioned is "The History of the Universe" by David H Lyth. The book describes the effects of inflation and provides criteria for the end of inflation in its appendix. The original poster also asks about the violation of certain conditions and whether it can be considered a graceful exit. The response suggests that the conditions described in the book may be necessary but not sufficient for a graceful exit, and that the book may not be helpful in developing a new shape for the inflaton potential.
Alpha2021
How to determine whether a cosmological inflation model (say single-field slow-roll inflation) gracefully exit or not? Is it like showing that inflation is ending at some value of inflaton?

Space news on Phys.org
Hi.
You're not getting a lot of responses, so I hope this will be of some help.

Have you got access to a library? My main source of information is "The History of the Universe", David H Lyth, publisher: Springer, 2016

It's a short book which (in my opinion) is suitable for post-graduates in a rush. It describes all the required effects of inflation on pages 71~73. However, it's in the Appendix on page 102 where some criteria for the end of inflation are established. So the whole lot is no more than 4 or 5 pages of A5 size... or 10 minutes reading (and in my case, twice as long figuring out what was going on with your own pencil and paper).

I could repeat what is said there but I can't do it any better than the original text. I read it at speed and wasn't really concerned about this aspect anyway.

Assuming I understood the text, Lyth presents criteria on V'' that mark the end of inflation.

Best Wishes.

LATE EDITING: According to the info on the back of the book, the book is appropriate for the general public EXCEPT the appendix (the thing is without the appendix you've got nothing much except some nice words anyway).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Alpha2021, sophiecentaur, vanhees71 and 2 others
Will Learn said:
Hi.
You're not getting a lot of responses, so I hope this will be of some help.

Have you got access to a library? My main source of information is "The History of the Universe", David H Lyth, publisher: Springer, 2016

It's a short book which (in my opinion) is suitable for post-graduates in a rush. It describes all the required effects of inflation on pages 71~73. However, it's in the Appendix on page 102 where some criteria for the end of inflation are established. So the whole lot is no more than 4 or 5 pages of A5 size... or 10 minutes reading (and in my case, twice as long figuring out what was going on with your own pencil and paper).

I could repeat what is said there but I can't do it any better than the original text. I read it at speed and wasn't really concerned about this aspect anyway.

Assuming I understood the text, Lyth presents criteria on V'' that mark the end of inflation.

Best Wishes.

LATE EDITING: According to the info on the back of the book, the book is appropriate for the general public EXCEPT the appendix (the thing is without the appendix you've got nothing much except some nice words anyway).
Thanks a lot for this kind reply.

The pages numbers saved my time to find the chapter. (sorry for the late reply.
Are you saying that violation of conditions ε, η≈1 can be called a graceful exit of inflation (slow roll)? Is it sufficient?

Attachments

• inflation ends.jpg
    inflation ends.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 103
Hi again.

I don't consider myself an expert on Inflation. My advice is limited. I also don't check the forum often, so don't wait for me to reply. It could be weeks.

Alpha2021 said:
Is it sufficient?
I've spent a bit more time and read the pages in the book again. Actually, there is a risk that the conditions described in the appendix are just necessary conditions. Lyth does seem to refer to the entire proposed shape of the inflaton potential (fig 14.1 in the book) as being required to guarantee an exit from inflation.

Your original post seemed to ask for criteria to determine if inflation has ended and/or if (the usual model of) the inflaton field provides a graceful exit from inflation. Lyth's book describes this. So I hope that wasn't a waste of your time.

Your second post suggests that you might be trying to develop a whole new shape for the inflaton potential and wanted some sufficient conditions to check this will give you a graceful exit from inflation. That's quite different thing and I don't think Lyth's book will help much with that, sorry.

Best Wishes.

• Informative
Likes Alpha2021

1. What is a cosmological inflation model?

A cosmological inflation model is a theoretical framework used to explain the rapid expansion of the universe in the early stages of its formation. It suggests that the universe underwent a period of exponential growth, causing it to expand faster than the speed of light.

2. Why is the graceful exit of a cosmological inflation model important?

The graceful exit of a cosmological inflation model is important because it explains how the universe transitioned from a period of rapid expansion to the slower expansion that we observe today. It also helps to address some of the inconsistencies and limitations of the standard Big Bang model.

3. How does a cosmological inflation model end?

A cosmological inflation model ends through a process called reheating, where the energy stored in the inflation field is converted into particles and radiation, leading to the hot and dense state of the early universe. This allows for the universe to continue expanding at a slower rate.

4. What evidence supports the concept of a graceful exit in cosmological inflation models?

There is strong observational evidence supporting the concept of a graceful exit in cosmological inflation models. This includes the precise measurements of the cosmic microwave background radiation, the distribution of galaxies, and the large-scale structure of the universe.

5. Are there different types of graceful exits in cosmological inflation models?

Yes, there are different types of graceful exits in cosmological inflation models, depending on the specific inflation model being studied. Some examples include the slow-roll inflation model, the hybrid inflation model, and the chaotic inflation model, each of which has its own unique way of ending the period of rapid expansion.