Grad Schools in Canada, 2-3year outta undegrad

In summary, the individual is looking to get back into the academic world after being out for 2-3 years after undergrad. They are interested in computational sciences for neurosci/cogsci/alife, VR/3D graphics, astrophysics/classical physics, or cryptography/graph theory. They have been learning game programming and relearning psychology and math, but have been addicted to PC games for a year and a half. They have a GPA of B/B+ with A-/A in psychology, but are considering going back for more undergraduate years, though this would mean more student loans. They are seeking tips and help in this process.
neurocomp2003
Hey, was wondering howone would get back in the academic world(grad school) if one has been out for 2-3 years after undegrad.
Looking to get into computational sciences for neurosci/cogsci/alife OR VR/3D graphics OR astrophysics/classical physics OR crypography/graph theory

I've always wanted to do research...Haven't been able to find a job because of it and its always on my mind whether it been brain mapping, Alife, number theory, graph theory or physics. Spent the 2-3 years learning game programming and relearning psych and some math. but for a good year and a half was addicted to PC games.

GPA-B/B+ minus my psych marks is a A-/A...hehe psych for cs students should be taugh a totally different way.

probably have to do more undergrad years but I already have student loans and going back for UG would mean more.

Any tips/help wuold be welcome

thanks in advance
neurocomp2003

Physics news on Phys.org
neurocomp2003 said:
Hey, was wondering howone would get back in the academic world(grad school) if one has been out for 2-3 years after undegrad.
Looking to get into computational sciences for neurosci/cogsci/alife OR VR/3D graphics OR astrophysics/classical physics OR crypography/graph theory

I've always wanted to do research...Haven't been able to find a job because of it and its always on my mind whether it been brain mapping, Alife, number theory, graph theory or physics. Spent the 2-3 years learning game programming and relearning psych and some math. but for a good year and a half was addicted to PC games.

GPA-B/B+ minus my psych marks is a A-/A...hehe psych for cs students should be taugh a totally different way.

probably have to do more undergrad years but I already have student loans and going back for UG would mean more.

Any tips/help wuold be welcome

thanks in advance
neurocomp2003

Your best bet would be to check out some schools with programs you're interested in, and then get in touch with their graduate advisors and someone in the grad school office. Most places will have programs in place to help students like you (sometimes they're called 'mature' graduate students, which usually has no relation to the student's age). You would certainly not be the first person to go back to school several years after finishing undergrad. They can assess your previous undergrad work and current work experience to see what additional courses you might need to take before or during your first year as a grad student.

I understand your desire to continue your education and pursue research in your field of interest. First of all, it is important to note that many graduate programs in Canada (and around the world) value real-world experience and may see your time spent learning game programming as a valuable asset. Additionally, your grades in your undergraduate program are still quite good and would likely be competitive for admission into a graduate program.

To get back into the academic world after being out for 2-3 years, there are a few steps you can take. First, I would recommend reaching out to professors or researchers in the specific fields you are interested in and expressing your interest in their work. This could potentially lead to research opportunities or connections to graduate programs. Additionally, you can look into taking some courses or workshops in your areas of interest to refresh your knowledge and demonstrate your commitment to the field.

Regarding your concerns about additional undergraduate years and student loans, I would suggest speaking with the admissions offices of the graduate programs you are interested in to see if they have any specific requirements or recommendations for your situation. They may also be able to provide information about funding options and scholarships.

Overall, my advice would be to stay focused on your passion for research and continue to pursue opportunities to engage in your chosen fields of study. With dedication and determination, I am confident that you can find a way back into the academic world and achieve your goals. Best of luck to you on your journey.

1. What are the admission requirements for grad schools in Canada?

The admission requirements for grad schools in Canada vary depending on the program and university. Generally, applicants are required to have a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, a competitive GPA, and strong letters of recommendation. Some programs may also require standardized test scores, such as the GRE or GMAT.

2. How long does it take to complete a graduate degree in Canada?

The length of time to complete a graduate degree in Canada can range from 2-3 years, depending on the program. Master's degrees typically take 2 years to complete, while PhD programs can take 3-4 years. Some programs may also offer the option of completing a degree in a shorter time frame through an accelerated or intensive program.

3. What is the cost of attending grad school in Canada?

The cost of attending grad school in Canada can vary depending on the program and university. International students can expect to pay higher tuition fees compared to domestic students. On average, tuition for a master's degree can range from $10,000 to $25,000 per year, while PhD programs can range from $10,000 to $35,000 per year.

4. Are there scholarships or financial aid available for grad school in Canada?

Yes, there are scholarships and financial aid opportunities available for grad school in Canada. Many universities offer scholarships specifically for international students, and there are also government-funded scholarships and grants available. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early on in the application process.

5. What are the career prospects after completing a graduate degree in Canada?

Graduate degrees from Canadian universities are highly regarded and can open up many career opportunities. Many graduates go on to work in their field of study, while others pursue further education or research positions. Canada also offers a post-graduation work permit program, allowing international students to gain work experience in Canada after completing their degree.