Grad schools in US and Canada

In summary, the physics major in the UK is a very competitive field, but with hard work and dedication, the student has a good chance of being successful in finding a graduate program. They should aim to have research experience or find an area of research they are passionate about in order to stand out. Additionally, international students should be prepared to prove their dedication to the program and their ability to be successful in the US academic system.
amiras
I am currently studying Physics BS in UK, I just finished my third year and planning to apply for Ms/PhD programs in USA or Canada.

I think all that is relevant about me when applying:
I work hard at school, have mostly A's and likely to graduate with 1'st class degree, I think I'm somewhere at top 10% of my class, but I have no research experience so far, no publications. Currently I am doing summer internship in nuclear institute, but my work mostly involves programming and has very little physics. I am going to attend 2-week Particle Physics summer school soon (is this something to enhance my chances when applying to grad school?) I also did TA this year in my institution. I also have a lot of programming experience.

I don't think I am especially strong candidate for grad school, because of lack of research experience I have no deeper understanding in any field, all I know is basics. (Although I do study outside the class things like GR, number theory, differential geometry - but only at elementary level)

I am also more attracted to HEP theory, which makes it harder to get in.

Throughout the summer I'll be preparing for PGRE and reading Griffiths Introduction to Elementary Particles, I think that's best I can do at this time to succeed at grad school.

I have a few questions regarding grad school:

What do you think are my chances of getting into a decent program? Also, how do you know which program is decent, are school subject rankings adequately reflect the program?

I hear all the time that good adviser is more important than ranking of the school, but for international student it's very difficult to meet prospective advisers. Do you think I should contact some professors via email and find out more about the them and department itself?

Thank you,

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

As you get towards the end of your undergraduate studies it's important to start thinking seriously about the field(s) that you might want to pursue graduate studies in. There's no single best way to learn about them, but things that certainly help include: attending departmental seminars, reading review articles (check out Nature or Physics Today, for example), attending or volunteering to help out with conferences, volunteering in labs, doing a senior thesis-project, talking with graduate students and listening to what your peers have found out.

The best way to learn about a school or a program is to visit, but I know that can be difficult or even impossible - particularly for an international student. Once you've got a subject area that you're interested in though, one option might be to talk with some of your professors who work in the field, if not the specific project. They could have some suggestions. You can also figure it out by reading. Even if you don't understand everything in every paper yet, it can help to see which groups keep coming up.

If you have a particular department in mind, it's entirely acceptable to email professors and initiate a discussion. They may not always get back to you, but sometimes they can give you some really valuable insight.

Yes you should contact departments and meet people and get a feel for different programs because they are all very different.

I'll be honest with you and I think you realize, no research experience after your 3rd year is going to be a caution flag on your applications to top schools in US and probably at home for you in the UK too. In my experience having gone through the grad school application process in the US last year successfully, research is quite important.

If you are set on particle physics, it will be tough. Lots of people want to do it. Are you dead set on particle physics? How did you decide that? These are things you'll want to think about and exemplify on your applications.

Just a side note, one of the things that undergrad research is good for, not just in finding what you like, is what you don't like. I learned from my research in X physics as an undergrad that I would hate doing it as a grad. That was just as valuable as learning what I want to do. Because of that, I would recommend you still try to find undergrad research even if it's only for less than a year. It would look good on applications too if you found one.

Last edited:

I understand your concerns and questions about applying to grad schools in the US or Canada. First of all, I want to commend you for your hard work and dedication to your studies. Your strong academic record and programming experience are definitely assets that will be looked upon favorably by admissions committees.

In terms of your research experience, it is understandable that as an undergraduate student you may not have had the opportunity to engage in extensive research. However, your summer internship at a nuclear institute and your upcoming participation in a particle physics summer school are great steps towards gaining more experience and enhancing your understanding in the field. These experiences will definitely make you a stronger candidate for grad school.

As for your chances of getting into a decent program, it is difficult to say without knowing the specific programs and their requirements. However, I can say that your academic record and passion for HEP theory will definitely make you a competitive candidate. It is also important to note that admissions committees look at the entire application, not just one aspect, so make sure to highlight your strengths and experiences in your application.

In terms of finding a decent program, school subject rankings can be a helpful starting point, but they should not be the only factor you consider. It is important to research the specific programs, their faculty, and their research areas to determine if they align with your interests and goals. It is also a good idea to reach out to current graduate students or alumni to get a better understanding of the program and their experiences.

As an international student, it can be challenging to meet prospective advisors in person. However, reaching out to professors via email to express your interest in their research and to inquire about their programs is definitely a good idea. This shows initiative and can potentially lead to a connection that may help in your application process.

Overall, my advice would be to continue working hard, gaining more research experience, and preparing for the PGRE. Also, don't be afraid to reach out to professors and ask questions. Your passion and dedication to your field will shine through in your application and will make you a strong candidate for grad school. Best of luck to you!

1. What are the top universities for graduate studies in the US and Canada?

Some of the top universities for graduate studies in the US include Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Stanford University, and University of California, Berkeley. In Canada, top universities for graduate studies include University of Toronto, University of British Columbia, McGill University, and University of Alberta.

2. What is the application process for graduate schools in the US and Canada?

The application process for graduate schools in the US and Canada varies depending on the university and program. Generally, it involves submitting an online application, official transcripts, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and standardized test scores (such as GRE or GMAT). Some programs may also require a personal interview or portfolio submission.

3. Are there any scholarships or financial aid options available for graduate studies in the US and Canada?

Yes, there are various scholarships and financial aid options available for graduate studies in the US and Canada. These can be offered by the universities themselves, government agencies, private organizations, or through external funding sources. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early on in the application process.

4. Can international students apply for graduate studies in the US and Canada?

Yes, international students are eligible to apply for graduate studies in the US and Canada. However, they may be required to meet certain language proficiency requirements and obtain a study permit or visa. It is important to check with the specific university and country's immigration policies before applying.

5. Are there any differences between graduate studies in the US and Canada?

While there may be some differences in the application process and program requirements, graduate studies in the US and Canada generally offer similar opportunities for academic and professional development. Some factors to consider when choosing between the two may include cost of living, location, and research opportunities. It is important to thoroughly research and compare options before making a decision.