Gradient of function of x,y,z is perpendicular to point on surface?

In summary, the surfaces are defined by ψ = constant. In order to find the change of the surface with respect to the tangent vector, we can use the expression dψ/dt = ∂ψ/∂x * dx/dt + ∂ψ/∂y * dy/dt + ∂ψ/∂z * dz/dt. Since the surface is described by ψ = constant, the value of ψ remains the same for infinitesimally small displacements tangent to the surface. Therefore, dψ/dt = 0, and the dot product of grad(ψ) and the tangent vector is also 0, indicating that grad(ψ) is perpendicular
racnna
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8859/proofea.jpg

i am having trouble figuring out how to proceed without knowing anything about the function ψ=ψ(x,y,z). all i know is that it's a function of x,y,z. but how can i figure out how the surface changes w.r.t the tangent vector if i don't even know what the surface is??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Write the curve in the surface as (x(t),y(t),z(t)) where t is a parameter and (x'(t),y'(t),z'(t)) is the tangent vector. See what the chain rule tells you about dψ/dt.

The surfaces are defined by ψ = constant. So, if you make an infinitesimally small displacement that is tangent to such a surface (thereby keeping you within the surface), what is the value of dψ?

[Edit: I was not aware that this question was also posted in the introductory physics forum]

I merged the threads and moved it to the calculus forum.

[tex]\frac{\partialψ}{\partial t} = \frac{\partialψ}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial t} + \frac{\partialψ}{\partial y} \frac{\partial y}{\partial t} + \frac{\partialψ}{\partial z} \frac{\partial z}{\partial t} [/tex]

my guess is that dx/dt, dy/dt and dz/dt are all zero. because in that case you can integrate dψ/dt = 0 and get ψ=constant?? but why would dx, dy and dz be constant? is the problem implying that for any surface described by f(x,y,z), that the slope of the tangent line stays the same or something like that?

racnna said:
[tex]\frac{\partialψ}{\partial t} = \frac{\partialψ}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial t} + \frac{\partialψ}{\partial y} \frac{\partial y}{\partial t} + \frac{\partialψ}{\partial z} \frac{\partial z}{\partial t} [/tex]

my guess is that dx/dt, dy/dt and dz/dt are all zero. because in that case you can integrate dψ/dt = 0 and get ψ=constant?? but why would dx, dy and dz be constant? is the problem implying that for any surface described by f(x,y,z), that the slope of the tangent line stays the same or something like that?

You've got the right expression. I think dψ/dt is the thing that should be zero. Why? Isn't the other side a dot product between grad(ψ) and the tangent vector?

TSny said:
The surfaces are defined by ψ = constant. So, if you make an infinitesimally small displacement that is tangent to such a surface (thereby keeping you within the surface), what is the value of dψ?

[Edit: I was not aware that this question was also posted in the introductory physics forum]
how can the surfaces be described by ψ=constant? wouldn't that mean x,y,z are constant and you're at one specific point on the surface?

Dick said:
You've got the right expression. I think dψ/dt is the thing that should be zero. Why? Isn't the other side a dot product between grad(ψ) and the tangent vector?

but how can we show that the dot product of grad(ψ) and the tangent vector is 0? or that grad(ψ) is perpendicular to the tangent vector?

racnna said:
how can the surfaces be described by ψ=constant? wouldn't that mean x,y,z are constant and you're at one specific point on the surface?

Nooo! Pick ψ=x^2+y^2+z^2=1. There are LOT of points on a sphere of radius 1!

racnna said:
but how can we show that the dot product of grad(ψ) and the tangent vector is 0? or that grad(ψ) is perpendicular to the tangent vector?

You didn't answer my first question about why dψ/dt should be zero. Write me an expression for grad(ψ) in terms of x, y, and z and the tangent vector to (x(t),y(t),z(t)), the curve that's on the surface of ψ=constant.

Dick said:
Nooo! Pick ψ=x^2+y^2+z^2=1. There are LOT of points on a sphere of radius 1!

oh i see...got it...yeah i was looking at it the wrong way

so by saying that ψ is constant they're saying every point on this surface is the same distance fromt he origin...does that basically mean it HAS to be a sphere? or could it be some other surface?

racnna said:
so by saying that ψ is constant they're saying every point on this surface is the same distance fromt he origin...does that basically mean it HAS to be a sphere? or could it be some other surface?

No again. Pick ψ=x+y+z=1. Now the surface is a plane. It doesn't really matter what the surface is.

Dick said:
You didn't answer my first question about why dψ/dt should be zero. Write me an expression for grad(ψ) in terms of x, y, and z and the tangent vector to (x(t),y(t),z(t)), the curve that's on the surface of ψ=constant.

like this?
[tex]grad(ψ) = \frac{\partial ψ}{\partial x} i + \frac{\partial ψ}{\partial y} j+ \frac{\partial ψ}{\partial z} k [/tex]
dχT= dx i + dy j +dz k

are you saying grad(ψ) is 0 since ψ is constant?

Last edited:
Again, consider the equation of the plane x+y+z=1. You have ##\psi(x,y,z) = x+y+z##, and ##\nabla\psi## clearly isn't equal to 0.

i see..but again how am i supposed to differentiate a function when i don't know what the function is? should i just pick any function of x,y,z?

No, you don't need to calculate the actual derivatives. You just need to show that there is a certain relationship between the derivatives.

Look at posts 3 and 6 again. What is dψ or dψ/dt equal to if you stay on the surface?

zero?

The whole point is that on a 'level surface', f(x, y, z)= constant, the value of f is a constant! If [itex]\vec{u}[/itex] is a unit tangent vector then [itex]D_{\vec{u}} f= 0[/itex] because it is the rate of change of f in the direction of [itex]\vec{u}[/itex] and f doesn't change in that direction. Therefore, we must have [itex]D_{\vec{u}}f= \nabla f\cdot \vec{u}= 0[/itex]. That is, [itex]\nabla f[/itex] is perpendicular to any tangent vector and so perpendicular to the surface.

thanks! makes sense...

im still trying to make sense of the meaning of ψ=constant. does it mean that if you take any small area element of the surface it is the same throughout the surface? is that a good way to interpret it?

Related to Gradient of function of x,y,z is perpendicular to point on surface?

1. What is the gradient of a function of x,y,z?

The gradient of a function of x,y,z is a vector that points in the direction of the steepest increase of the function at a given point. It is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable.

2. What does it mean for the gradient to be perpendicular to a point on a surface?

If the gradient of a function at a given point is perpendicular to the surface at that point, it means that the direction of steepest increase of the function is also the direction that is perpendicular to the surface. In other words, the gradient is pointing directly away from the surface at that point.

3. How is the gradient of a function related to the slope of a surface?

The gradient of a function is closely related to the slope of a surface. The slope of a surface can be thought of as the rate of change of the surface in a particular direction. The gradient, which is a vector, represents the direction and magnitude of the steepest increase of the function at a given point. Therefore, the gradient and the slope of a surface are both measures of the rate of change of the surface.

4. Can the gradient of a function be zero at a point on a surface?

Yes, it is possible for the gradient of a function to be zero at a point on a surface. This means that at that point, there is no steepest increase or decrease of the function in any direction. This could occur at a local maximum or minimum point on the surface, where the function is not changing in any direction.

5. How is the gradient of a function used in real-world applications?

The concept of the gradient is used in many real-world applications, such as gradient descent algorithms in machine learning, calculating electric potential and electric field in physics, and determining the direction of steepest ascent in optimization problems. It is also used in various fields of engineering, including fluid dynamics and heat transfer, to understand the direction and magnitude of changes in a system.