Granular Conveyor -- Granular Material acts as a liquid?

In summary, the amplitude of the vibration of the conveyor at different frequencies is not the same. The glass beads on the conveyor behave differently at different frequencies. It is not clear why this is the case.
ADB_Glasgow
TL;DR Summary
My final year experiment involves vibrating a granular conveyor with the same amplitude at at different frequencies.
My final year experiment involves vibrating a granular conveyor with the same amplitude at at different frequencies. (See picture for experiment set-up).
Between 5-115 Hz, the glass beads bounce erratically. As soon as the frequency hits 120Hz or higher, the beads remain on the surface, and can be seen behaving collectively as a liquid. I am however struggling to find a reason why this is the case.
Any ideas of why the beads behave as a liquid when the frequency is higher?
Cheers!

Attachments

• Granular Conveyor_1.jpg
    Granular Conveyor_1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 170
Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you have images of the two behaviors?

Yes no probem.
'Granular Conveyor_1' is at 5Hz, and all the glass beads are gather together at the bottom of the conveyor.
'GC_70Hz' is the granular conveyor at 70 Hz. Notice the glass beads are spread out across the surface and jumping around erratically.
'GC_135Hz' is the granular conveyor at 135 Hz. he glass beads have now spread out fairly evenly across the surface and are not erratically jumping around.
I am however struggling to find a reason why this is the case. Any ideas of why the beads behave as a liquid when the frequency is higher?
Cheers!

Attachments

• GC_70Hz.jpg
    GC_70Hz.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 200
  • GC_135Hz.jpg
    GC_135Hz.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 201
  • Granular Conveyor_1.jpg
    Granular Conveyor_1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 194
That's an interesting question. My guess is that the conveyer's surface is behaving like the surface of the speaker in the video below. As you can see, at certain frequencies the surface resembles an egg crate. As other frequencies, it hops from one vibrating mode to another.

An ultra slow motion video of the conveyor and beads may make it clear.

Edit: A second video

Likes 256bits
Thanks for pictures. I see the amplitude is characterized by a driving voltage. Do you know for certain what the actual displacement amplitude of the conveyer is (i.e. is it really the same at different frequencies for a given voltage). I guess one way to know would be to examine the frequency dependence at different fixed pp voltages. So what do you know?
(My first thought is that the transition would occur when the shake amplitude is similar to ball diameter...which is in fact similar to the step size ... I am not expert in this field...but I have thought about atoms scattering on rough surfaces previously)

Likes 256bits
ADB_Glasgow said:
Summary:: My final year experiment involves vibrating a granular conveyor with the same amplitude at at different frequencies.
On the pictures there is something that says "Amplitude = 50mVpp".
I assume that is the amplitude of the voltage applied to electronics of the vibrating table, which I would guess is that round white thing.

Coupling between electrical / mechanical systems will not mean that the table itself has a steady amplitude in meters peak-to-peak , as one moves through the electrical frequency spectrum.

Likes hutchphd
For a fixed mechanical amplitude, the velocity of the surface is proportional to frequency.
What is the maximum mechanical surface velocity at 120 Hz ?
Is it a transducer resonance affected by the load? Change the load to test.
Is it surface acceleration that is important ?

Likes 256bits and hutchphd

1. What is a granular conveyor?

A granular conveyor is a type of conveyor system used to transport granular materials, such as grains, powders, and small particles. It consists of a belt or series of rollers that move the material along a designated path.

2. How does a granular conveyor work?

A granular conveyor works by using the principle of fluidization, where the granular material is treated as a liquid. The material is placed on a moving surface and is agitated by vibrations or air currents, causing it to behave like a liquid and flow along the conveyor path.

3. What are the advantages of using a granular conveyor?

There are several advantages to using a granular conveyor, including the ability to transport materials at high speeds, the ability to handle a wide range of particle sizes and shapes, and the flexibility to transport materials over long distances and around obstacles.

4. What types of industries use granular conveyors?

Granular conveyors are commonly used in industries that handle bulk materials, such as agriculture, mining, food processing, and pharmaceuticals. They are also used in manufacturing processes that involve the movement of small particles, such as in the production of electronics or plastics.

5. What are some common challenges when using a granular conveyor?

Some common challenges when using a granular conveyor include maintaining a consistent flow of material, preventing the material from sticking to the conveyor surface, and controlling the speed and direction of the material. Additionally, the properties of the material, such as moisture content and particle size, can affect the performance of the conveyor.