1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graph Analysis

1. Aug 1, 2008 #1

Air

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:
    A curve for for [itex]z>-1[/itex] is given by:

[itex]x=\ln(1+z), \ y=e^{z^2}[/itex].

Find [itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}^2y}{\mathrm{d}x^2}[/itex] in terms of [itex]z[/itex] and show that the curve has only one turning point and that this must be a minimum.

2. The attempt at a solution:
    [itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}z}{\mathrm{d}x} = \frac{1}{1+z}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}z}{\mathrm{d}y} = 2ze^{z^2}[/itex]

[itex]\therefore \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} = \frac{1}{(1+z)(2ze^{z^2})}[/itex]

3. The problem I have encountered:
    Can you check that it is corerct so far and provide tips on how to differentiate further to find [itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}^2y}{\mathrm{d}x^2}[/itex].

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2008 #2
    On the second line of your attempt, you have dz/dy = 2ze^(z^2) but the right hand side is the result of differentiating dy by dz. That should fix your third line.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  4. Aug 1, 2008 #3

Air

[itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}x}{\mathrm{d}z} = \frac{1}{1+z}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}z} = 2ze^{z^2}[/itex]

[itex]\therefore \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} = (1+z)(2ze^{z^2})[/itex]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  5. Aug 1, 2008 #4

Air

Is this correct:

[itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}^2y}{\mathrm{d}z^2} = 2e^{z^2} + 4z^2e^{z^2}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}^2x}{\mathrm{d}z^2} = -\frac{1}{(1+z)^2}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}^2y}{\mathrm{d}x^2} = 4z^4e^{z^2} + 8z^3e^{z^2} + 6z^2e^{z^2} + 4ze^{z^2} + 2e^{z^2}[/itex]

6. Aug 1, 2008 #5
    The dy/dx is correct. You have a slight typo on the second line (should be dy/dz), no biggie.

Anyways I've never encountered such a second derivative but I would assume you would then take d/dx [(1+z)(2ze^(z^2))] and implicitly differentiate. This could get ugly, so first take the constant 2 out and probably would be a good idea to distribute the ze^(z^2) factor and applying the product rule twice.

I think this way works, though now you do need dz/dx, which is just e^x. And then you could express everything in terms of z in the end. However I wouldn't doubt that there is a better way of doing this.

7. Aug 1, 2008 #6

Air

I've done it by using [itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}^2y}{\mathrm{d}z^2}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}^2x}{\mathrm{d}z^2}[/itex] then finding [itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}^2y}{\mathrm{d}x^2} [/itex]. Are my answer's posted above correct?

8. Aug 1, 2008 #7
    I don't think that manipulation works for derivatives higher than the first, i.e. dy/dx = (dy/dz)/(dy/dz) but you have to differentiate the resulting expression with respect to x after that. Though I'm working out the final answer at the moment.

9. Aug 1, 2008 #8
    OK, after taking d/dx [(1+z)(2ze^(z^2))] with the fact that dz/dx = e^x = e^[ln(z+1)] = z+1 and checking it, I got

[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}^2y}{\mathrm{d}x^2}=[/tex]

2[e^(z^2)](z+1)(2z^3 + 2z^2 + 2z +1)

10. Aug 1, 2008 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}= \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)= \frac{d}{dx}(1+z)(2ze^{z^2})[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{dz}{dx}(2ze^{z^2})+ z\frac{d(2ze^z)}{dx}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?