Calculating Average Acceleration from a Distance vs Time Graph | Lab Question

In summary, the conversation is about a physics lab where a graph of motion is being created using a ticker tape timer. The question is asking how to find the average acceleration of an object given a distance vs. time graph. The person asking for help provides their attempt at solving the problem by calculating the velocity at each interval and finding the average velocity. However, they are unsure of how to find the acceleration. They are then reminded of the forum rules and asked to show their work. The conversation ends with the person showing their work and asking for confirmation if it is correct.
saad1109
Graph of Motion Pls help urgent

Case: We are performing a lab in our class in which on a slop (made from books) is made. Then we graph the motion of a puck via a machine which places a parabola type curve on the graph lick a ticker tape timer. The points were plotted under the motion of the puck.
the question i would like for u to solve would be something like this:

In a

Distance vs Distance Graph, or Displacement vs Displacement graph,
given interval between each point is .05 seconds, how would you find the average acceleration or the acceleration of the object, if the graph looks like this :

ONLY LOOK AT HALF OF THE GRAPH, THAT IS THE RIGHT HALF & IGNORE ANY LABELLING.

http://xamplified.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/image0042.jpg

I WOULD DEEPLY BE THK YOU TO U IF U SOLVE THIS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

You should read the forum rules regarding posting homework. You are supposed to show what you know and how far you can get, and then you'll get help to take you further. Asking for someone to just solve your problem for you isn't the way this forum works.

ohh sorry I'm new...i just didn't know...i tried it by getting the velocity between each points...given the distance and time between the points...but i am unable to go any further and find the acceleration

saad1109 said:
ohh sorry I'm new...i just didn't know...i tried it by getting the velocity between each points...given the distance and time between the points...but i am unable to go any further and find the acceleration

Show. Us. Your. Work.

ok would this work fine:

*Velocity of each interval:

V1 = 0.02m /0.05s = 0.4 m/s

V2 = 0.025m /0.05s = 0.5 m/s

V3 = 0.015m /0.05s = 0.3 m/s

V4 = 0.018m /0.05s = 0.36 m/s

V5 = 0.016m /0.05s = 0.32 m/s

V6 = 0.019m /0.05s = 0.38 m/s

V7 = 0.022m /0.05s = 0.44 m/s

V8 = 0.021m /0.05s = 0.42 m/s

V9 = 0.025m /0.05s = 0.5 m/s

*Vav =

0.4 m/s + 0.5 m/s + 0.3 m/s + 0.36 m/s + 0.32 m/s + 0.38 m/s + 0.44 m/s + 0.42 m/s + 0.5 m/s

= .402 m/s

* Total Distance = 0.02m + 0.025m + 0.015m + 0.018m + 0.016m + 0.019m + 0.022m + 0.025m
= .181m

* Total Time = .05 x 9
= .45 sec

Total Time Total Distance Average Velocity Acceleration
.45 sec .181m .402 m/s ?

Formulae: d = (v)(t) + ½(a)(t^2) or a = 2(d – (v)(t) / t^2)

a = 2(0.181 – (.402)(.45) / .45^2)
= 9.9 x (10^-3) m/s^2= or 0.00099 m/s^2

1. What is a graph of motion?

A graph of motion is a visual representation of an object's position over time. It shows how an object's position changes over a specific period of time, with time represented on the horizontal axis and position represented on the vertical axis.

2. How do you interpret a graph of motion?

To interpret a graph of motion, you can look at the slope of the line. A steeper slope indicates a faster speed, while a flatter slope indicates a slower speed. You can also look at the direction of the line to determine the direction of motion.

3. What is the difference between a position-time graph and a velocity-time graph?

A position-time graph shows an object's position at different points in time, while a velocity-time graph shows an object's velocity at different points in time. The slope of a position-time graph gives the object's velocity, while the slope of a velocity-time graph gives the object's acceleration.

4. How can you use a graph of motion to calculate an object's speed?

To calculate an object's speed, you can use the slope of a position-time graph. The slope is equal to the change in position divided by the change in time. This will give you the average speed over a specific time interval.

5. What are the different types of motion that can be represented on a graph?

There are three main types of motion that can be represented on a graph: constant motion, accelerated motion, and decelerated motion. Constant motion is represented by a straight, diagonal line. Accelerated motion is represented by a curved line with a positive slope, while decelerated motion is represented by a curved line with a negative slope.