1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graph of simple harmonic motion

1. Aug 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle moves with amplitude A and period T (see figure). Express the following in terms of A and T and numberical constants.
    a) The time at which the phase is pi/2
    b) maximum v
    c) max a
    d) time at which acceleration is a maximum

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got b and c, but i'm not sure about a and d.

For a, they ask for the time at which phase is pi/2. I know T = 2pi. For d, when acceleration is max, is time 0?

Can someone help me please?

THANKS

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2010 #2
    T does not equal 2pi

[tex]\omega T = 2 \pi[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\omega = \frac{2\pi}{T}[/tex]
    where omega is the radian frequency, because when you evaluate the sinusoid at t = T, the argument equals 2pi.

[tex]x(t) = cos(\omega t)[/tex]
    [tex]x(t) = cos(\frac{2\pi}{T}t)[/tex]

Using this last equation, we can solve both a and d. For a, find a t that makes the argument pi/2. For d, differentiate twice to find acceleration and find the argument that maximizes acceleration.

you can use a more conceptual approach for both, however. For example, if you know how a cosine behaves, you can instantly know A just by looking at the graph.

4. Aug 22, 2010 #3
    I'm not getting what you mean by finding a t that makes it pi/2. We don't have any values of t

5. Aug 22, 2010 #4
    for a, time has to be 1/4t.

is that right?

6. Aug 22, 2010 #5
    differentiating the equation twice gives acceleration = -A omega^2 cos (omega t)

amax = Aomega^2, so t has to be equal to 1?

7. Aug 23, 2010 #6
    no. the time at which a phase of pi/2 happens, t, will have T in it.
    no. wt must equal 0 or pi for |a(t)| to be maximum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook