Graph Theory Notation Question

In summary, the conversation revolves around a notation that the speaker is not familiar with while doing their homework. The notation is "Draw W6" with a bar over it, like a complex conjugate. The speaker is unsure of what this means and is asking for clarification. They mention that they know what W6 looks like.
B3NR4Y
Gold Member
I'm not sure if this warrants a full post, but I am doing my homework and I came across notation I'm not familiar with. Skimming the chapter it's not in there either.

It says "Draw W6" but W6 has a bar over it, like complex conjugate. What does this mean? I know what W6 looks like.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
B3NR4Y said:
I'm not sure if this warrants a full post, but I am doing my homework and I came across notation I'm not familiar with. Skimming the chapter it's not in there either.

It says "Draw W6" but W6 has a bar over it, like complex conjugate. What does this mean? I know what W6 looks like.
Without seeing any context, my best guess is that ##\overline{W_6}## means the complement of ##W_6## -- everything in the graph that isn't in ##W_6##. An image of the page might be helpful.

1. What is graph theory notation?

Graph theory notation is a set of symbols and conventions used to represent and manipulate graphs in the field of mathematics. It includes symbols for vertices, edges, and other components of a graph, as well as operations and relationships between graphs.

2. What are the basic components of graph theory notation?

The basic components of graph theory notation include vertices, which represent the points or nodes of a graph, and edges, which represent the connections between vertices. Other components may include labels, weights, and directions for the edges.

3. How is a graph represented using graph theory notation?

A graph can be represented using a variety of different notations, but a common way is to use a set of vertices and edges, with each edge connecting two vertices. Other details, such as labels or weights, can be added as needed.

4. What are some common operations in graph theory notation?

Common operations in graph theory notation include finding the shortest path between two vertices, determining the number of edges or vertices in a graph, and identifying subgraphs or cycles within a larger graph.

5. How is graph theory notation used in real-world applications?

Graph theory notation is used in a variety of real-world applications, including computer science, social networks, transportation planning, and electrical circuit design. It allows for the representation and analysis of complex systems, and can help identify patterns and relationships between different components.