Graphical Representation of v(t) Function

In summary, the conversation is about representing the function v(t)=3 + 1.414cos(w0t) - 1.414sin(w0t) + 2cos(2w0t + 5pi/2) graphically. The speaker is looking for help in graphing both sine and cosine in the same graph. They provide a website link to a plot generator and suggest using the limits x=-2*pi to x=2*pi and y=0 to y=8.
esmeco
I'm trying to represent graphically the following function:

v(t)=3 + 1.414cos(w0t) - 1.414sin(w0t) + 2cos(2w0t + 5pi/2)

The problem is that I'm not sure how I represent the sine and cosine both in the same graph...I know that 3 is the continuous component and the w0t equals the "x" variable...Any help on this would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Goto this web site: http://www.hostsrv.com/webmab/app1/MSP/quickmath/02/pageGenerate?site=quickmath&s1=graphs&s2=equations&s3=basic

and copy this:

y=3 + 1.414cos(x) - 1.414sin(x) + 2cos(2x + 5*pi/2)

into the box marked "Plot" and use the limits x=-2*pi to x=2*pi and y=0 to y=8 then click plot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Graphical Representation of v(t) Function

1. What is a v(t) function?

The v(t) function is a mathematical representation of an object's velocity as a function of time. It shows how an object's velocity changes over time, and can be graphically represented as a curve on a coordinate plane.

2. How is the v(t) function graphically represented?

The v(t) function is typically graphically represented as a line or curve on a coordinate plane, with time (t) on the horizontal axis and velocity (v) on the vertical axis. The shape of the curve can indicate whether the object is accelerating, decelerating, or maintaining a constant velocity.

3. What is the significance of the slope of a v(t) graph?

The slope of a v(t) graph represents the object's acceleration. A steeper slope indicates a greater acceleration, while a flat line represents constant velocity. A negative slope indicates deceleration.

4. How can v(t) graphs be used in real-life scenarios?

The v(t) function and its graphical representation are commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects. They can also be used in real-life scenarios, such as analyzing the speed of a moving vehicle or the acceleration of a rollercoaster.

5. Can the v(t) function be used for non-uniform motion?

Yes, the v(t) function can be used for both uniform and non-uniform motion. In the case of non-uniform motion, the curve on the graph will not be a straight line, indicating that the velocity is changing over time.