1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing noise (mathematica)

1. Sep 13, 2006 #1
    For my time series and spectral analysis class i need to graph something like in the attachment. i need to have 100 numbers that are connected like that, and then 'add' them to a sinusiodal wave to create a real life wave - with noise.

How would i do this using mathematica??

I can easily generate a whole bunch of random numbers with ranging values but how would i make it such taht all the numbers are in ascending order and go from 0 to at least 2 pi?

would i use numerous Random[x] and then arrange them (how?) in ascending order??

Please help!!

Thank you in advance for your input

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2006 #2
    any ideas people??

graphing random numbers and then 'joinging' them seems to be a good idea here... is that possible with mathematica though?

4. Sep 14, 2006 #3
    Look up the function Sort.

Sort[Real,{1.13,2.14,1.54,2.61}]

{1.13,1.54,2.14,2.61}

5. Sep 14, 2006 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have no idea what you mean, ascending order. From what I can tell, there's no correlation between the time and the value, which is rather the definition of a random variable. You're not going to add the random values to the angles going into the sine function -- you're going to add them to the outputs coming from the sine function.

Just compute a table of sine values, one for each point of interest. Next, add a random value to each entry in the table.

- Warren

6. Sep 14, 2006 #5
    now why didnt i think of it that way

in fact tahts what my prof said too

im just silly

thanks a lot :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?