Graphing Problem: Rearrange to a Straight Line Graph

• Thread starter dienamics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphing
In summary, the person is asking for help with a graphing problem involving a mass x acceleration graph with a constant force and increasing mass. They are looking to rearrange the graph into a straight line, but are unsure how to do so. One suggestion is to plot logs, as this can show a power law relationship. However, the person clarifies that the curve on their graph represents deceleration and the force is not given. They are struggling to rearrange using the formula a=f/m and are seeking further assistance.
dienamics
Hi,
Was wondering if someone could help me out with this simple graphing problem.

Its a mass x acceleration graph. I have a constant force but an increasing mass e.g

When plotting this graph I end up with a negative curve, as the mass increases, the acceleration decreases.

I need to rearrange this to a straight line graph.

pls help!

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
dienamics said:
Hi,
Was wondering if someone could help me out with this simple graphing problem.

Its a mass x acceleration graph. I have a constant force but an increasing mass e.g

When plotting this graph I end up with a negative curve, as the mass increases, the acceleration decreases.

I need to rearrange this to a straight line graph.

pls help!

Cheers.

A common approach is to plot logs. When you have a power law between two variables, this gives a straight line. Many plotting programs provide an option to make one or both axes a log-scale. The gradient of a log graph let's you know the power of the relationship.
[tex]\begin{align*}
y &= x^n \\
\log y &= n \log x
\end{align*}[/tex]​

Cheers -- sylas

Hmm...

Not sure that's going to work, but thats. probably should have explained the question better.

Its not a negative curve, the curve represents deceleration in the positive direction (curve with decreasing gradient) and the force is not given. If worked out using F=ma the force varies.

Not sure how to go about this one. Have tired rearranging using a=f/m but don't seem to be having much luck...

probably something really simple I'm doing wrong

Can anyone help me with this??:confused:

1. What is a "Graphing Problem: Rearrange to a Straight Line Graph"?

A "Graphing Problem: Rearrange to a Straight Line Graph" is a type of data analysis problem where data is presented in a non-linear format and needs to be rearranged into a straight line graph for better visualization and interpretation.

2. Why is it important to rearrange data into a straight line graph?

Rearranging data into a straight line graph makes it easier to identify patterns and relationships between variables. It also allows for more accurate and precise data analysis and can help in making predictions and drawing conclusions.

3. What are the steps to rearrange data into a straight line graph?

The first step is to plot the data points on a graph. Then, determine the relationship between the variables (e.g. direct or inverse). Next, use mathematical techniques such as logarithms or transformations to convert the data into a linear format. Finally, plot the new data on a graph and examine the relationship between the variables.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when rearranging data into a straight line graph?

Some common mistakes to avoid include not properly understanding the relationship between the variables, using incorrect mathematical techniques, and not accurately plotting the data points on the graph. It is also important to double check the calculations and ensure all data is included in the analysis.

5. Can rearranging data into a straight line graph be applied to all types of data?

No, not all types of data can be rearranged into a straight line graph. This method is most commonly used for continuous data sets and works best when there is a clear relationship between the variables. Additionally, it is important to consider the context and purpose of the data analysis before deciding to rearrange it into a straight line graph.