1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing problem

1. Jun 17, 2009 #1
    Hi,
    Was wondering if someone could help me out with this simple graphing problem.

Its a mass x acceleration graph. I have a constant force but an increasing mass e.g

When plotting this graph I end up with a negative curve, as the mass increases, the acceleration decreases.

I need to rearrange this to a straight line graph.

pls help!

Cheers.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2009 #2

sylas

Science Advisor

A common approach is to plot logs. When you have a power law between two variables, this gives a straight line. Many plotting programs provide an option to make one or both axes a log-scale. The gradient of a log graph lets you know the power of the relationship.
    [tex]\begin{align*}
    y &= x^n \\
    \log y &= n \log x
    \end{align*}[/tex]​

Cheers -- sylas

4. Jun 17, 2009 #3
    Hmm...

Not sure thats going to work, but thats. probably should have explained the question better.

Its not a negative curve, the curve represents deceleration in the positive direction (curve with decreasing gradient) and the force is not given. If worked out using F=ma the force varies.

Not sure how to go about this one. Have tired rearranging using a=f/m but dont seem to be having much luck...

probably something really simple I'm doing wrong

5. Jun 17, 2009 #4
    Can anyone help me with this??:confused:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook