Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing problem

1. Jun 17, 2009 #1
    Hi,
    Was wondering if someone could help me out with this simple graphing problem.

Its a mass x acceleration graph. I have a constant force but an increasing mass e.g

When plotting this graph I end up with a negative curve, as the mass increases, the acceleration decreases.

I need to rearrange this to a straight line graph.

pls help!

Cheers.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2009 #2

sylas

Science Advisor

A common approach is to plot logs. When you have a power law between two variables, this gives a straight line. Many plotting programs provide an option to make one or both axes a log-scale. The gradient of a log graph lets you know the power of the relationship.
    [tex]\begin{align*}
    y &= x^n \\
    \log y &= n \log x
    \end{align*}[/tex]​

Cheers -- sylas

4. Jun 17, 2009 #3
    Hmm...

Not sure thats going to work, but thats. probably should have explained the question better.

Its not a negative curve, the curve represents deceleration in the positive direction (curve with decreasing gradient) and the force is not given. If worked out using F=ma the force varies.

Not sure how to go about this one. Have tired rearranging using a=f/m but dont seem to be having much luck...

probably something really simple I'm doing wrong

5. Jun 17, 2009 #4
    Can anyone help me with this??:confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook