Graphing Question: x<1, 1≤x≤2, x>2

• Thread starter you_of_eh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphing
In summary, graphing the equation x<1, 1≤x≤2, x>2 visually represents the values of x that satisfy the given conditions and helps with understanding their relationship. The values of x to plot on the graph can be determined by looking at the given conditions. The different sections of the graph represent the different conditions given in the equation. The values of x can be exactly 1 or 2 in this equation. This graph can be used to solve the equation by identifying the values of x that satisfy the given conditions.
you_of_eh
The function is..

f(x) = 2x-2 if x<1
x^2 if 1 <= x <= 2
7-x if x>2

I made a table of values and graphed the points. The problem is my prof said something about not all of the points being connected by straight lines, some being connected by curves. I was wondering why this is, and for which points?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the graph of f(x) = x2 look like?

It's a parabola.

..so would the line between the two points of the function f(x) = x^2 be curved and all others straight?

Last edited:

Related to Graphing Question: x<1, 1≤x≤2, x>2

What is the purpose of graphing the equation x<1, 1≤x≤2, x>2?

The purpose of graphing this equation is to visually represent the values of x that satisfy the given conditions. This can help with understanding the relationship between the values of x and the given conditions.

How do I know which values of x to plot on the graph?

You can determine the values of x to plot by looking at the given conditions. In this case, the values of x that are less than 1, between 1 and 2 (including 1 and 2), and greater than 2 should be plotted on the graph.

What do the different sections of the graph represent?

The different sections of the graph represent the different conditions given in the equation. The section where x is less than 1 represents the condition x<1, the section where x is between 1 and 2 represents the condition 1≤x≤2, and the section where x is greater than 2 represents the condition x>2.

Can the values of x be exactly 1 or 2 in this equation?

Yes, the values of x can be exactly 1 or 2 in this equation since the conditions include the equal sign. This means that the values of x at exactly 1 and 2 satisfy the given conditions.

How can I use this graph to solve the equation?

This graph can be used to solve the equation by identifying the values of x that satisfy the given conditions. From the graph, you can see that any value of x less than 1, between 1 and 2, and greater than 2 will satisfy the equation.