Algebraic vector problems (planes, cross products etc)

In summary: P1.The Attempt at a Solution1. n= a x ba x b = a x (aλ x bμ) = a x bμ = nμ∴(a X u)/n = μ
PedroB

Homework Statement

1. A vector u is given by u = λa + μb, where λ, μ are elements of ℝ. Calculate axu and bxu and show that:

[itex][(b χ u).n]/[(b χ a).n][/itex] = λ

and

[itex][(a χ u).n]/[(a χ b).n][/itex] = μ

(In any circumstance when I have omitted the underlining it is for convenience purposes, a, b, n and u are still vectors.)

2. The vectors a and b form a set of basis vectors for P1 (A plane spanned by vectors a and b). However it is often desirable to use a set of orthogonal basis vectors.

Construct a vector b' that is in P 1 and orthogonal to a.

Homework Equations

We are told that a and b are vectors in ℝ3, and that they are not parallel or anti-parallel. n is the normal vector to plane P1.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. n= a x b

a x b = a x (aλ x bμ)
= a x bμ
= nμ

∴[itex](a χ u)/n[/itex] = μ
[itex](a χ u)/(a χ b)[/itex] = μ

The same can be applied for obtaining an equation with λ. The problem arises out of the fact that I wouldn't know how to incorporate the '.n' portion to the numerator and denominator (though it seems quite obvious that their cancellation would yield the above equation, it must serve some purpose).

2. I can't find any sort of methodology that would yield a vector, b', perpendicular to a in P1 when only given the information above. I would assume it has something to do with question 1 (I could be wrong), though I can't see how they relate to one another.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mod note: I tweaked what you wrote to make it more readable. In particular, I replaced the character you used for the cross product (Greek letter chi?) with X.
PedroB said:

Homework Statement

1. A vector u is given by u = λa + μb, where λ, μ are elements of ℝ. Calculate axu and bxu and show that:

[(b X u) ##\cdot## n]/[(b X a) ##\cdot## n] = λ

and

[(a X u) ##\cdot## n]/[(a X b) ##\cdot## n] = μ
What is n?
PedroB said:
(In any circumstance when I have omitted the underlining it is for convenience purposes, a, b, n and u are still vectors.)2. The vectors a and b form a set of basis vectors for P1 (A plane spanned by vectors a and b). However it is often desirable to use a set of orthogonal basis vectors.

Homework Equations

We are told that a and b are vectors in ℝ3, and that they are not parallel or anti-parallel. n is the normal vector to plane P1.

1. n= a x b

a x b = a x (aλ x bμ)
= a x bμ
= nμ

∴[itex](a X u)/n[/itex] = μ
[itex](a X u)/(a X b)[/itex] = μ

The same can be applied for obtaining an equation with λ. The problem arises out of the fact that I wouldn't know how to incorporate the '.n' portion to the numerator and denominator (though it seems quite obvious that their cancellation would yield the above equation, it must serve some purpose).

2. I can't find any sort of methodology that would yield a vector, b', perpendicular to a in P1 when only given the information above. I would assume it has something to do with question 1 (I could be wrong), though I can't see how they relate to one another.Thanks in advance for any help.

PedroB said:

Homework Statement

[itex][(b χ u).n]/[(b χ a).n][/itex] = λ

and

[itex][(a χ u).n]/[(a χ b).n][/itex] = μ

(In any circumstance when I have omitted the underlining it is for convenience purposes, a, b, n and u are still vectors.)

2. The vectors a and b form a set of basis vectors for P1 (A plane spanned by vectors a and b). However it is often desirable to use a set of orthogonal basis vectors.

Homework Equations

1. n= a x b

a x b = a x (aλ x bμ)
= a x bμ
= nμ

∴[itex](a χ u)/n[/itex] = μ
[itex](a χ u)/(a χ b)[/itex] = μ
But of course, you can't divide by a vector. What you do have correct is$$
a\times u =\mu(a\times b)$$with vectors on both sides. You can dot both sides of that equation with ##n##, giving$$
(a\times u)\cdot n = \mu(a\times b) \cdot n$$Now this is a scalar equation which you can solve for ##\mu##. Do you see why ##(a\times b) \cdot n\ne 0\ ##, allowing you to divide by it?

And you do the similar thing to solve for ##\lambda##.
2. I can't find any sort of methodology that would yield a vector, b', perpendicular to a in P1 when only given the information above. I would assume it has something to do with question 1 (I could be wrong), though I can't see how they relate to one another.

Thanks in advance for any help.

For 2 think about where the vector ##(a \times b)\times a## would be.

What is an algebraic vector problem?

An algebraic vector problem involves using algebraic equations and operations to solve problems involving vectors, such as finding the magnitude or direction of a vector, or determining if two vectors are parallel or perpendicular.

What is a plane in algebraic vector problems?

A plane in algebraic vector problems is a flat surface that extends infinitely in all directions. In algebraic terms, a plane can be represented by an equation in three variables (x, y, and z). Solving for the variables can determine the location of points on the plane or the intersection of multiple planes.

What is a cross product in algebraic vector problems?

A cross product is a mathematical operation used to find the vector that is perpendicular to two given vectors. It is denoted by the symbol "×" and is calculated using the determinant of a 3x3 matrix. The magnitude of the cross product is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors multiplied by the sine of the angle between them.

How can algebraic vector problems be used in real-life situations?

Algebraic vector problems can be used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and navigation. For example, engineers may use algebraic vector calculations to determine the forces acting on a structure or to design the trajectory of a projectile. Similarly, navigators may use these calculations to determine the direction and distance between two points on a map.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving algebraic vector problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving algebraic vector problems include forgetting to use proper vector notation, mixing up the order of vector operations, and not checking for errors in calculations. It is also important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it and to double-check the final answer to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem.