Grav. Force - Mass of an object

• Thread starter ecthelion4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Mass
In summary, the problem involves a proton moving at 0.999 of the speed of light and orbiting a black hole 4362km away from the center. Using the equation F=(Gm1*m2)/d^2, the mass of the black hole can be calculated. The only unknown variable is the proton's speed, which is 0.999 times the speed of light, a constant. Therefore, the speed of the proton can be calculated and the mass of the black hole can be determined.
ecthelion4

Homework Statement

A proton moving at 0.999 of the speed of light orbits a black hole 4362km from the center of the attractor. What is the mass of the black hole?

Homework Equations

F=(Gm1*m2)/d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming the above is correct, a proton I think has constant mass of 1.6726*[(10)^(-27)], I know the distance, and G is constant. Since what I need is mass of black hole I'm assuming there's a way to find the force using the proton's speed.

Physics news on Phys.org
The gravity of the black hole is acting as the central force. So what is the definition of a central force? Think Newton's second law for circular motion.

super, i figured put the problem, the force would be equal to (m*v^2)/r

now the only thing I am missing is v, which is .999 of the speed of light, but what does that mean?

Do you know what the speed of light is in a vacuum? It's a constant. The 0.999 is how much of the speed of light the proton is moving at.

ok, so if the speed of light is 299,792,458 m/s, then the proton's speed would be that times .999 right?

ecthelion4 said:
ok, so if the speed of light is 299,792,458 m/s, then the proton's speed would be that times .999 right?

That's right.

1. What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is the attractive force between two objects due to their masses. It is responsible for the motion of planets around the sun and objects falling towards the Earth.

2. How is gravitational force calculated?

Gravitational force is calculated using the equation F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2), m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. Does mass affect gravitational force?

Yes, mass directly affects gravitational force. The greater the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational force. This means that larger objects have a stronger gravitational pull than smaller objects.

4. How does distance affect gravitational force?

Distance also affects gravitational force. The farther apart two objects are, the weaker their gravitational force. This is because the force decreases with the square of the distance between the objects.

5. What is the unit of measurement for gravitational force?

The unit of measurement for gravitational force is newtons (N). This unit is derived from the equation F = m * a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. One newton is equal to the force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared.