1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grav. Force - Mass of an object

1. Feb 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A proton moving at 0.999 of the speed of light orbits a black hole 4362km from the center of the attractor. What is the mass of the black hole?

2. Relevant equations

F=(Gm1*m2)/d^2

3. The attempt at a solution

Assuming the above is correct, a proton I think has constant mass of 1.6726*[(10)^(-27)], I know the distance, and G is constant. Since what I need is mass of black hole I'm assuming there's a way to find the force using the proton's speed.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2007 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

The gravity of the black hole is acting as the central force. So what is the definition of a central force? Think Newton's second law for circular motion.

4. Feb 17, 2007 #3
    super, i figured put the problem, the force would be equal to (m*v^2)/r

now the only thing im missing is v, which is .999 of the speed of light, but what does that mean?

5. Feb 17, 2007 #4

hage567

Homework Helper

Do you know what the speed of light is in a vacuum? It's a constant. The 0.999 is how much of the speed of light the proton is moving at.

6. Feb 17, 2007 #5
    ok, so if the speed of light is 299,792,458 m/s, then the proton's speed would be that times .999 right?

7. Feb 17, 2007 #6

hage567

Homework Helper

That's right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?