Gravitation and Orbiting Satellites

In summary: So if you had wanted to express the height in furlongs, you would have to use the units of feet and inches. Conversely, if you wanted to express the length in kilometers, you would have to use the units of miles and kilometers.
ThenewKid
1. Two satellites are orbiting around Earth. One satellite has a period of 1.4hours and
is 200km above Earths surface. The other satellite has a period of 6.0h. Use Kepler's laws
and the fact the radius of Earth is 6.37 x 10^6meters to determine the height of the second satellite above Earths surface.

2. Keplers Third Law: (Ta/Tb)^2 = (Ra/Rb)^3
Fg=Gm1m2/r2
G=6.67x10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2
Msv2/r = GMeMs/r^2
g=Fg/m
g=9.80N/kg
g=GMe/Re^2

3. Ok first I know that Fg is equal to Fc, but I don't know the equation to find out Fc.
So I just decided to attempt to find out the period but dividing 6hours by 1.4hours and using that number (4.29 rounded) multipled it with 200km and got 858km. I then used
858km as the height of the 2nd satellite above the Earths surface. I also calculated the velocity of satellite one, which is 7.79 x 10^3 m/s (or just 7.8m/s) Now, since I am doing a long distance course and not good at all at algrebra, and the lack of good example question within the textbook and coursebook to go on, I stumped. The answer I have cannot be worth 5 marks from the work I've shown, but I just can't find any way to prove how my answer is correct with so little to go on.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You will only need to use Kepler's Third Law.

ThenewKid said:
2. Keplers Third Law: (Ta/Tb)^2 = (Ra/Rb)^3[/b]

You were given the orbital periods for both satellites, the altitude of one of the satellites, and the radius of the Earth. That information plus Kepler's third law are all you need to solve the problem.

So Ta=1.4hours and Tb=6hours
What I got after doing the first part of the equation is 0.054

Now Ra and Rb are pretty much the radius of the Earth, and when I finished
that equation all I got on my calculator was 1E36.
...These numbers don't really seem like the height of the second satellite no matter how
I look at it and add/subtract/multiple/divide them together.

Are you using r in meters and T in seconds?

ThenewKid said:
So Ta=1.4hours and Tb=6hours
What I got after doing the first part of the equation is 0.054
Good.

Now Ra and Rb are pretty much the radius of the Earth
Not so good.

Solve for Ra (you don't use Kepler's laws here) and then solve for Rb (here you do use Kepler's law).

Roger Wilco said:
Are you using r in meters and T in seconds?
That's not necessary here. The left-hand and right-hand side of the expression [tex](T_a/T_b)^2 = (R_a/R_b)^3[/tex] are unitless. If you so wished, you could even express length in furlongs and time in fortnights with this question, so long as all lengths are expressed in furlongs and all times are expressed in fortnights.

What is important in this question is that all similar items (i.e., all lengths) be expressed in the same units. Here we have the radius of the Earth in meters and height in kilometers. Those units must be made commenserate with one another.

1. What is gravitation?

Gravitation is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction between objects with mass. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and for the formation of galaxies.

2. How does gravity affect orbiting satellites?

Gravity is the force that keeps orbiting satellites in their respective orbits. The gravitational pull from the Earth constantly pulls the satellite towards the center, but the satellite's velocity keeps it moving forward, creating a circular path.

3. How do satellites stay in orbit?

Satellites stay in orbit due to the balance between their velocity and the gravitational pull of the Earth. If the satellite's velocity decreases, it will fall towards the Earth, and if it increases, it will move into a higher orbit.

4. What factors affect the orbit of a satellite?

The orbital path of a satellite can be affected by its mass, the mass of the object it is orbiting, and the distance between the two objects. Other factors, such as atmospheric drag, can also impact the orbit.

5. How do scientists calculate the orbit of a satellite?

Scientists use mathematical equations, such as Newton's law of gravitation and Kepler's laws of planetary motion, to calculate the orbit of a satellite. They also take into account various factors, including the satellite's mass, velocity, and the gravitational force of the Earth.