What is the Most Accurate Accepted Value for the Gravitational Field, g?

In summary, the value of "g" or acceleration due to gravity varies depending on your radial distance and other local effects. The standard value is 9.80665 m/s^2, but it can differ slightly depending on location. To accurately determine g, one must also consider the accuracy of G, M_{Earth}, and R_{Earth}. It is not possible to obtain g from a power series. Local variations in g can have significant impacts, such as in the case of mineral detection.
Pseudo Statistic
Hi,
This might be a dumb/stupid/ignorant/*insert name tag here* topic, but I was wondering-- what is a fairly accurate numerical representation of g?
Most of my books use 9.8m/s^2, Fundamentals of Physics mentions 9.80665m/s^2 and I've heard some books use 9.82m/s^2...
What is the most accurate accepted value? (Also, is there some power series to represent g?:rolleyes:)
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to remember that [itex]g[/itex] is local (its value varies with your radial distance from the center of the Earth). It is given by:

[tex]g=\frac{GM_{Earth}}{R_{Earth}^2}[/tex]

So to find out how accurately [itex]g[/itex] is known, you need to know how accurately [itex]G[/itex], [itex]M_{Earth}[/itex], and [itex]R_{Earth}[/itex] are known.

And no, you can't get [itex]g[/itex] from a power series.

The value 9.80665 m/s^2 is the standard, exact (just like the speed of light) value of "g". Tom's formula assumes a spherical, nonrotating Earth.

Daniel.

As Tom points out, the value is local. But it depends on more than just your radius because there are local effects that distort the gravitational field. Indeed, detecting these distortions is one goal for people looking for deposits of minerals, ore, oil, etc.

The varying can be quite significant. For example, in my undergrad university on teh second floor of hte physics building, the local value of g was 9.79616 m/s^2 (I think that was the number - after a multi-week-long Kater's pendulum experiment to measure it and make all sorts of corrections for systematics!) At my grad school, a thousand kilometres away, the value was closer to 9.81 m/s^2, I believe.

1. What is a gravitational field?

A gravitational field is a region of space surrounding a massive object where another object with mass experiences a force of attraction.

2. What is the symbol for gravitational field?

The symbol for gravitational field is "g". It is often represented as a vector quantity with units of meters per second squared (m/s²).

3. How is gravitational field strength measured?

Gravitational field strength is measured using a device called a gravimeter, which measures the acceleration of a falling object due to gravity.

4. How does the strength of a gravitational field change with distance?

The strength of a gravitational field decreases as the distance from the source of the field increases. This relationship follows the inverse-square law, meaning that the strength of the field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects.

5. How does the mass of an object affect the gravitational field around it?

The greater the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational field. This means that objects with larger masses, such as planets or stars, have stronger gravitational fields compared to smaller objects.