Understanding Gravitational Field Lines Between Two Objects

In summary: I believe the resultant field is pointing along the symmetry axis of the two masses, but the net field at a small mass is zero because there is no net force on a small mass.
TalliThePrune

Homework Statement

"Complete the diagram to display gravitational field lines between two objects of equal mass."
tumblr_npc3b0SJnI1qkljyuo1_1280.jpg

Homework Equations

N/A as question is descriptive.

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I know it's a bit of a mess but what I'm trying to show here is that the fields are radial and each mass attracts the other with equal force. Is this correct?
tumblr_npc3b0SJnI1qkljyuo2_1280.jpg

If not, please point me in the right direction.

Many thanks!

- Talli

Physics news on Phys.org
Hm, have you ever seen a picture of electric field-lines between two opposite charges? If there is no outer gravitational field I believe the two masses should yield a similar result. (Coulomb'ss law and Newton's law of gravitation is very similar in structure!). :)

Likes TalliThePrune
Alettix said:
Hm, have you ever seen a picture of electric field-lines between two opposite charges? If there is no outer gravitational field I believe the two masses should yield a similar result. (Coulomb'ss law and Newton's law of gravitation is very similar in structure!). :)

Yeah, I've just been doing questions on that actually! :smile:

Clearly my sketch isn't the best, I meant it to look similar to this electric field diagram except with arrows pointing at both masses (instead of one way towards the negative/away from the positive). I just can't seem to find any visual representations of two masses online.

Thanks for the answer.

TalliThePrune said:
Yeah, I've just been doing questions on that actually! :smile:

Clearly my sketch isn't the best, I meant it to look similar to this electric field diagram except with arrows pointing at both masses (instead of one way towards the negative/away from the positive). I just can't seem to find any visual representations of two masses online.

Thanks for the answer.
This is the electric field image you mentioned:
ElecF-fieldlines1.gif

Alettix has basically a good idea in that you might consider electric field lines for a case in which point charges in an electric field will behave in a manner analogous to the behavior of point masses in a gravitational field. However, her suggestion to look at the field lines produced by opposite charges may not be what is needed.

This analogy is complicated by the fact that mass has no sign. All mass force is attractive. How do you determine the direction of a force field? Place a test charge (or test mass) at some location and determine the direction of the force exerted on or test charge (or mass) .

We are not particularly interested in whether the two objects producing the field attract each other or repel each other.

Show that the two proposed configurations are not analogous.

How can that be rectified?

Likes Alettix and berkeman
Imagine that for grater distance the field of two masses must be like as one mass field.

TalliThePrune said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I know it's a bit of a mess but what I'm trying to show here is that the fields are radial and each mass attracts the other with equal force. Is this correct?
tumblr_npc3b0SJnI1qkljyuo2_1280.jpg

You placed the arrows nearly correctly, and you are right, the field lines are radial, but only very near to one mass. But you know that the total field is the vector sum of the fields of the individual masses. So what is the direction of the resultant field lines along the symmetry axis (the perpendicular bisector) of the two masses? At A, for example? And what is the net field acting on a small mass at point B?
gravfieldlined.JPG

Likes TalliThePrune

1. What are gravitational field lines?

Gravitational field lines are imaginary lines used to represent the direction and strength of the gravitational force at different points in space. They are drawn in a way that the tangent to the line at any point represents the direction of the gravitational force at that point.

2. How are gravitational field lines related to gravity?

Gravitational field lines are directly related to gravity as they represent the gravitational force, which is the attraction between two objects with mass. The closer the lines are together, the stronger the gravitational force between the objects.

3. How are gravitational field lines affected by mass?

The strength and direction of gravitational field lines are affected by the mass of the object. The larger the mass, the more gravitational force it exerts and the closer the field lines are together. The shape of the field lines also depends on the distribution of mass.

4. Can gravitational field lines cross each other?

No, gravitational field lines cannot cross each other. This is because the direction of the gravitational force at a point can only be in one direction. If the lines were to cross, it would imply that the force at that point is acting in two different directions, which is not possible.

5. How are gravitational field lines used in calculations?

Gravitational field lines are used in calculations to determine the strength of the gravitational force at a particular point. The number of field lines per unit area is proportional to the strength of the force, making it a useful tool for visualizing and understanding the effects of gravity on objects.