Calculating the Mass Ratio of Orbiting Stars Using Gravitational Fields

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a physics question involving two stars in orbit and a spacecraft at a point where it experiences zero net gravitational force. The student is having trouble with the calculations and someone provides a solution using the equations for gravitational force and the gravitational constant. The final answer is the ratio of the two star's masses, which is found to be 16.
breeno
First of all, I'm new to this forum, it's good to be here! I've been studying for my next physics exam and am having trouble with one type of question, here it is (I have tried my best to replicate the image on paint):

Homework Statement

Two stars of masses "M" and "m" are in orbit around each other. As shown in the following diagram, they are a distance "R" apart. A Spacecraft located at point X experiences zero net gravitational force from these stars. Calculate the ratio of M/m.
physicsimage.jpg

Homework Equations

G=(GM/R2)

Fg = (GMm/R2) = mg

Where G is the gravitation constant which is 6.67 x 10-11
R = Radius
M = Mass
m = Mass
Fg = Gravitational force
g = gravitational field strength

The Attempt at a Solution

We know that at point X, Fg is 0. I tried plugging a whole bunch of numbers in, but I can't find a question similar and am struggling with the process of it. I'm pretty sure we use the second equation, but I seem to be screwing up the arithmetic.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, since the net force = 0, and they are opposing, we know that Fg1 = Fg2. Thus, GMfirststarMspaceship/0.8^2 = GMsecondstarMspaceship/0.2^2. G and the mass of the spaceship can be divided out of the equation, leaving us with Mstar1/0.8^2 = Mstar2/0.2^2. Thus, Mstar1/Mstar2 = 0.8^2/0.2^2. So Mstar1/Mstar2 = 16.

Just realized I messed with your variables a bit. Just to make it clear, Mfirststar = M and Msecondstar = m. Hope that helps.

Thankyou so much, I've been struggling with that and you've made it much clearer than my book ever would have, much appreciated!

1. What is a gravitational field?

A gravitational field is a region in space where objects with mass experience a force of attraction towards each other. This force is known as gravity and is caused by the curvature of space-time.

2. How is gravitational force calculated?

The strength of the gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This relationship is described by Newton's law of universal gravitation: F = G * (m1 * m2)/r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight in a gravitational field?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. In a gravitational field, an object's mass remains constant, but its weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational field.

4. How does the strength of a gravitational field vary?

The strength of a gravitational field decreases as the distance from the source of the field increases. It also depends on the mass of the objects involved, with larger objects having a stronger gravitational field. Additionally, the strength of a gravitational field can vary depending on the curvature of space-time in the presence of massive objects such as black holes.

5. How do gravitational fields affect the motion of objects?

Gravitational fields cause objects to accelerate towards each other. The exact motion of an object in a gravitational field depends on its initial velocity and the strength and direction of the gravitational force acting on it. In the absence of other forces, objects will follow an elliptical orbit around each other in a gravitational field.