Gravitational Force Problem Solution

In summary: Your weight decreases as you go down, until you reach the center of the core. This is because 1. You are getting closer to the center of Earth. 2. Only the mass below you contributes to your acceleration. So by going down, your Earth effectively loses mass, causing gravity to weaken. But you get closer to the center of mass, causing your gravity to strengthen. Since Earth's core is denser than it surface, in the real world, your decreasing r wins, and you get heavier. But in a uniform sphere, the decreasing effective mass wins, and you get lighter.
tak08810

Homework Statement

Suppose Earth were a nonrotating uniform sphere. As a reward for earning the highest lab grade, your physics professor chooses your laboratory team to participate in a gravitational experiment at a deep mine on the equator. This mine has an elevator shaft going 11.8 km into Earth. What would be the loss in weight at the bottom of this deep shaft for a student who weighs 750 N at the surface of the Earth?

Homework Equations

F = G Mm/R^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Well from the beginning, the problem confuses me because wouldn't your weight increase if you go deeper into the earth? Since that means R would be decreased?

Anyways, plugging in the values for M (ignoring m since it's so small in comparison) as 5.98 * 10^24 kg, R as (6380 kg - 11.8 km), and G as 6.67 * 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2, I get a value of 9.8354... Then I divide that by gravity on the surface (9.8 m/s^2) to find how much the weight will increase. However, I cannot get the right answer!

Submission # Try Submitted Answer
1 Submission not graded. Use more digits. 2.8 N
2 Incorrect. (Try 1) 2.79 N
3 Incorrect. (Try 2) -2.79 N
4 Submission not graded. Use more digits. 3 N
5 Incorrect. (Try 3) 3.00 N
6 Submission not graded. Use more digits. 3. 5N
7 Submission not graded. Use more digits. 3. 5 N
8 Incorrect. (Try 4) 2.77 N
9 Incorrect. (Try 5) -2.77 N
10 Incorrect. (Try 6) 2.78 N
11 Incorrect. (Try 7) -2.78 N

Thank you for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
In the real world, you are correct. Your weight increases as you go down, until you reach the edge of the core. This is because 2 things are happening:

1. You are getting closer to the center of Earth.
2. Only the mass below you contributes to your acceleration.

So by going down, your Earth effectively loses mass, causing gravity to weaken. But you get closer to the center of mass, causing your gravity to strengthen. Since Earth's core is denser than it surface, in the real world, your decreasing r wins, and you get heavier. But in a uniform sphere, the decreasing effective mass wins, and you get lighter.

So in this problem, you only consider the mass of the Earth below you. Compute the density of the Earth using its radius and mass, then using this density, compute the mass of an Earth that is 11.8 km smaller in radius. Use that mass and your new r to compute your new acceleration due to gravity. Then you can compute your weight loss.

Thank you! I got the answer now.

1. What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is a natural phenomenon that causes objects with mass to attract each other. It is one of the four fundamental forces in the universe, along with electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force.

2. How is gravitational force calculated?

The strength of gravitational force between two objects is calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation. The formula is F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. What causes gravitational force?

Gravitational force is caused by the curvature of space-time created by massive objects. The more massive an object is, the more it curves space-time and the stronger its gravitational force.

4. What are the effects of gravitational force?

The effects of gravitational force are numerous and include keeping planets in orbit around the sun, causing objects to fall towards the Earth, and creating tides in bodies of water. It also plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of galaxies and the universe as a whole.

5. Can gravitational force be canceled or eliminated?

No, gravitational force cannot be canceled or eliminated. It is a fundamental force of nature and is always present between any two objects with mass. However, its strength can be reduced by increasing the distance between objects or by decreasing their masses.