Gravitational motion problem, degrees along orbit

In summary: It's a classical problem.Taking the mass of the sun to be 2*10^30kg, at perihelion the comet has a velocity of 1*10^5m/s and a distance of 5*10^10m. The total energy is positive, which means it is a hyperbolic orbit and the comet will not return to this point.For part b, we can use Kepler's Second Law which states that equal areas are swept out in equal times, and the specific angular momentum, h, can be found from the perihelion values. We can then set up an integral to find the time it takes for the comet to travel from perihelion to 60 degrees further along
DaviBones

Homework Statement

A comet passes the sun at it's perihelion 5*1010 meters going 1*105 meters/second. Take the mass of the sun to be 2*1030.

a.) Will the comet return to this point? If so, how long until that happens?
b.) How long will it take to travel from perihelion to 60 degrees further along it's orbit?

Homework Equations

[itex]F_{g}=\frac{-GMm}{r^{2}}[/itex]
[itex]KE=\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/itex]
[itex]PE=\frac{-GMm}{r}[/itex]
[itex]\omega=\frac{v}{r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a was easy. I summed the KE and PE and it was positive. I concluded that the velocity was great enough to escape orbit.

Part b, I have no clue how to approach. I've nothing in my arsenal that deals with degrees along an orbit besides perhaps conservation of angular momentum but I have been thinking about this for a couple hours now and I'm totally stumped on where to even begin. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't get any orbit by solving a, that's why you could not do (b). I think you should re think for part (a).

Does positive total energy not mean a closed orbit? I was taught that E<0 is a closed orbit, E=0 is a parabola, and E>0 is a hyperbola

Okay. Thanks for letting me know. Then probably you can measure 60 degrees arc of length with some maths of hyberbola at hand.

You could make use of the Kepler law which states that equal areas are swept out in equal times. The fact that you've got the perihelion radius and velocity gives you the specific angular momentum, h. Then

[tex] \int_0^t h\;dt = \int_0^{\nu} r^2 \; d\nu [/tex]

r is given by the usual conic section formula for ##r(\nu)##. Time t=0 corresponds to the instant of perihelion passage when ##\nu = 0##.

You might want to look up references for the "Time of Flight Problem", as there are some nice reductions of the integral for the various orbit cases (ellipse, parabola, hyperbola).

Sorry, I'm having a hard time figuring out your post... Is everything in that equation what I expect it is? In other words, is "t" time, "v" velocity, and "r" the radius? If so, doesn't the left side become simply "ht", since angular momentum in this case is constant?

Also I couldn't find the conic section formula you're talking about anywhere, and looking up time of flight mostly turned up kinematics time of flight problems, which I doubt is what you're talking about, right? That's only parabolic motion as far as I could find.

DaviBones said:
Sorry, I'm having a hard time figuring out your post... Is everything in that equation what I expect it is? In other words, is "t" time, "v" velocity, and "r" the radius?
##\nu## is the true anomaly, that is, the angle measured at the focus (Sun) from perihelion to the current location of the orbiting object.
If so, doesn't the left side become simply "ht", since angular momentum in this case is constant?
Yup!
Also I couldn't find the conic section formula you're talking about anywhere, and looking up time of flight mostly turned up kinematics time of flight problems, which I doubt is what you're talking about, right? That's only parabolic motion as far as I could find.
[tex] r = \frac{p}{1 + e\;cos(\nu)} [/tex]
where p is the semi latus rectum.

You might want to locate a book on astrodynamics that discusses The Kepler Problem and determination of time of flight between locations along an orbit.

1. What is gravitational motion?

Gravitational motion refers to the movement of objects under the influence of the force of gravity. This force is responsible for the motion of planets in their orbits around the sun, as well as the motion of objects falling towards the Earth.

2. What is an orbit?

An orbit is the path that an object takes as it moves around a larger object due to the force of gravity. In the case of celestial bodies, such as planets, their orbits are often elliptical in shape and follow the laws of orbital motion described by Isaac Newton.

3. How are degrees used to measure orbits?

Degrees are used to measure the position of an object along its orbit. One full orbit is divided into 360 degrees, with 0 degrees representing the starting point of the orbit. By measuring the angle between an object's current position and its starting point, we can determine how far along its orbit it has traveled.

4. How does the degree of an orbit affect the speed of the object?

The degree of an orbit does not directly affect the speed of the object. However, the distance between the object and the center of the larger object it is orbiting can change as the object moves along its orbit, which can affect its speed due to the force of gravity.

5. What is the relationship between gravitational motion and degrees along an orbit?

The force of gravity is responsible for the motion of objects along their orbits, and the degrees along an orbit determine the position of an object in its orbit. Understanding these concepts is crucial for predicting and explaining the motion of celestial bodies in space.