Gravity as Geometry: Exploring its Impact on Conservation Laws

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential implications of gravity being a force instead of geometry, and questions if any conservation laws or other laws of physics would be broken in such a scenario. The participants also touch on the Noether Theorem and the principle of relativity. However, without a specific model or question, the conversation cannot be answered and is closed.
mieral
If gravity was not geometry.. what conservation law(s) would be broken?
For example.. if gravity was a force.. would other laws of physics be broken?

But gravity as geometry may not be complete answer because it has to be made compatible with quantum. Its quite puzzling.

Physics news on Phys.org
mieral said:
You are asking "if the laws of physics did not apply then what would the laws of physics say about <insert nonsense of your choice>".

I heard of the Noether Theorem.. thought there was a necessary requirement why space has to be bind to time as geometry.

If not.. maybe the source code of the universe is geometry to the core.

Ok.. please transfer this thread to the Beyond the Standard Model as we are digging up some connections. Thanks

I'm not a moderator so I can't move the thread but I can tell you that "beyond the standard model" does NOT mean "stuff that conflicts with known science".

phinds said:
I'm not a moderator so I can't move the thread but I can tell you that "beyond the standard model" does NOT mean "stuff that conflicts with known science".

Beyond the standard model is Quantum Gravity. I thought why gravity was geometry had a reason.. wasn't it to make symmetry of space and time. Is this the only reason why gravity was geometry? But then geometry has to satisfy quantum and geometry can't be all it. That is why I think this topic is more appropriate for beyond the standard model.

mieral said:
Geometric theories follow the equivalence principle and explain the equality of inertial and gravitational mass.

mieral said:

In classical/non-relativistic physics, where gravity is a force, what conservation laws are broken and what other laws of physics are broken?

martinbn said:
In classical/non-relativistic physics, where gravity is a force, what conservation laws are broken and what other laws of physics are broken?

Beats me. What?

You are asking the question "if gravity is not geometry but a force what conservation laws and other laws of physics are broken", you tell us why you expect that any laws will be broken? For example what conservation laws do you think are broken in classical physics?

martinbn said:
You are asking the question "if gravity is not geometry but a force what conservation laws and other laws of physics are broken", you tell us why you expect that any laws will be broken? For example what conservation laws do you think are broken in classical physics?

I remember reading it's Point of View Invariance. The rest I don't remember. But so what if point of view invariance is lost.. maybe conservation of energy? I forgot that's why I'm asking.

mieral said:
I remember reading it's Point of View Invariance. The rest I don't remember. But so what if point of view invariance is lost.. maybe conservation of energy? I forgot that's why I'm asking.

I think I see what your confusion might be. The invariance in Noether's theorem and the invariance in general relativity are different. It is actually the other way around than what is implied in your question. In classical physics you do have the invariance that gives you conservation of energy, but not every spacetime has it.

mieral said:

These questions are not answerable because you have not told us what specific model you want to use. "If gravity was not geometry" just tells us what model not to use (the usual spacetime geometry model of GR). It doesn't tell us what model to use.

"If gravity was a force" could be interpreted as saying "use Newtonian mechanics", but we already know what Newtonian mechanics predicts and which of those predictions don't match reality. If there is some other model that says gravity is a force, you'll need to tell us what it is.

mieral said:
I heard of the Noether Theorem.. thought there was a necessary requirement why space has to be bind to time as geometry.

No, it isn't. The reason we use spacetime geometry in relativity is that it works: the theory we build on that model matches reality. But there are plenty of other possible theories that are consistent with Noether's Theorem. You can formulate Noether's Theorem in Newtonian physics.

mieral said:
I remember reading it's Point of View Invariance.

If you mean the principle of relativity, this is not limited to GR either. Newtonian mechanics has a principle of relativity.

In the absence of a specific question that can be answered, this thread is closed.

Related to Gravity as Geometry: Exploring its Impact on Conservation Laws

1. What is the concept of "Gravity as Geometry"?

"Gravity as Geometry" is a theory that describes gravity as a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass. This means that objects with mass cause a distortion in the fabric of space-time, which determines the path that other objects with mass will follow.

2. How does the concept of "Gravity as Geometry" impact conservation laws?

The theory of "Gravity as Geometry" has a significant impact on conservation laws, particularly the conservation of energy, momentum, and angular momentum. It explains how these laws hold true in the presence of gravitational forces, as the curvature of space-time accounts for the transfer of these quantities.

3. What evidence supports the theory of "Gravity as Geometry"?

The theory of "Gravity as Geometry" is supported by various observational and experimental evidence. The most notable is Einstein's theory of general relativity, which successfully explains the motion of celestial bodies and has been extensively tested and verified. Other evidence includes the observation of gravitational lensing and the detection of gravitational waves.

4. Can "Gravity as Geometry" help unify the laws of physics?

Yes, "Gravity as Geometry" plays a crucial role in unifying the laws of physics. It is a fundamental component of the Standard Model of particle physics and is essential for understanding the behavior of the universe at both the macro and micro scales. The theory also provides a framework for incorporating gravity into the laws of quantum mechanics.

5. How does "Gravity as Geometry" impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of "Gravity as Geometry" has revolutionized our understanding of the universe. It has led to the development of new theories and models, such as the inflationary model of the universe and the concept of dark energy. It has also helped us understand the formation and evolution of galaxies and the structure of the universe on a large scale.