Gravity as geometry vs gravity traveling at c

In summary: Thanks. That gives me a better...understanding?In summary, according to general relativity, gravity is a manifestation of the geometry of spacetime. This is in contrast to the idea that gravity travels at the speed of light. Although both ideas are well accepted, it is the space-time distortion view of gravity that is preferred.
Canis Lupus
Hi,

I am seeking to understand better how this well accepted idea:

"...according to general relativity, gravity is a manifestation of the geometry of spacetime."
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loop_quantum_gravity)

is compatible with the equally well accepted idea that gravity travels at the speed of light.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Canis Lupus said:
Hi,

I am seeking to understand better how this well accepted idea:

"...according to general relativity, gravity is a manifestation of the geometry of spacetime."
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loop_quantum_gravity)

is compatible with the idea that gravity travels at the speed of light.

Any help would be appreciated.
CHANGES in gravity travel at the speed of light. Gravity itself is a field and is a manifestation of spacetime or, it is, I think, more appropriate to say that gravity IS spacetime geometry.

Likes FactChecker and Canis Lupus
phinds said:
CHANGES in gravity travel at the speed of light. Gravity itself is a field and is a manifestation of spacetime or, it is, I think, more appropriate to say that gravity IS spacetime geometry.

Thanks for the reply.

A follow-up question: how come for gravity the space-time distortion view is preferred (to my understanding, a hypothetical graviton field would be equivalent), whereas the other forces are preferred to be viewed as fields?

rumborak said:
A follow-up question: how come for gravity the space-time distortion view is preferred (to my understanding, a hypothetical graviton field would be equivalent), whereas the other forces are preferred to be viewed as fields?
Gravity IS spacetime geometry so it's not really a choice

I may be mistaken, but I thought the graviton point of view does away with space-time distortion.

rumborak said:
Is there a field theory that changes time?

Likes jerromyjon
phinds said:
Gravity itself is a field
I'm not sure that I understand this if I take it literally. When I interpret a field as a force vector at every position and time, I have to wonder which position and time. If gravity changes space-time, can it really be considered a field? -- or do I need to give up the distortion part to accept it as a field? In that case, I guess the force is also changing motion in time -- which I could accept. Does that make it more of a tensor than a force in the F=ma sense, since the changing motion in time must not depend on its mass?
EDIT: A field is not necessarily a force field where acceleration would need to depend on mass.

Last edited:
phinds said:
Gravity IS spacetime geometry so it's not really a choice

The gravity field and spacetime are one and the same? Is this a new understanding?
I thought that space-time was a coordinate system; a mathematical construct only. A gravity field is more than that as it has the capability to exert a force if a mass is present. Gravitational field intensity has the dimensions of [Force]/[Mass], Same as acceleration. Is this wrong?

FactChecker said:
I'm not sure that I understand this if I take it literally. When I interpret a field as a force vector at every position and time, I have to wonder which position and time. If gravity changes space-time, can it really be considered a field? -- or do I need to give up the distortion part to accept it as a field? In that case, I guess the force is also changing motion in time -- which I could accept. Does that make it more of a tensor than a force in the F=ma sense, since the changing motion in time must not depend on its mass?
I think you're right; it's not a field (that was a poor choice of description --- I did better w/ the last sentence in that post), it's just the geometry inherent in spacetime. What I meant was that it is pervasive and does not travel. It's the changes in gravity that travel.

Likes FactChecker
phinds said:
I think you're right; it's not a field (that was a poor choice of description --- I did better w/ the last sentence in that post), it's just the geometry inherent in spacetime. What I meant was that it is pervasive and does not travel. It's the changes in gravity that travel.

Does this mean it is constantly changing?

Canis Lupus said:
calling @PeterDonis

Canis Lupus said:
When the Sun moves through space, the associated change of space-time due to gravity moves with it. The change travels out from the Sun at the speed of light.

Likes Canis Lupus
FactChecker said:
When the Sun moves through space, the associated change of space-time due to gravity moves with it. The change travels out from the Sun at the speed of light.

Thanks. That gives me a better idea.

phinds said:
calling @PeterDonis

Sorry, I don't understand this post.

Canis Lupus said:
Sorry, I don't understand this post.
I'm calling on one of our experts so that you can get a better answer than what I could provide.

Likes Canis Lupus
phinds said:
I'm calling on one of our experts so that you can get a better answer than what I could provide.

thanks

1. What is the difference between "gravity as geometry" and "gravity traveling at c"?

"Gravity as geometry" refers to the concept of gravity as a fundamental force that is caused by the curvature of spacetime. This theory is known as general relativity and explains gravity as a result of the interaction between mass and spacetime. On the other hand, "gravity traveling at c" refers to the idea that gravity is transmitted through particles, known as gravitons, that travel at the speed of light.

2. Which theory is currently accepted by the scientific community?

The theory of "gravity as geometry" is currently accepted by the scientific community as the most accurate explanation of gravity. This theory has been supported by numerous experiments and observations, including the bending of light around massive objects and the gravitational redshift.

3. Can both theories coexist?

Yes, both theories can coexist as they are based on different principles. However, they have not yet been reconciled into a single unified theory of gravity.

4. How does the concept of "gravity as geometry" relate to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc²?

Einstein's equation, E=mc², is a key component of the theory of relativity and is used to describe the relationship between mass, energy, and the speed of light. In the theory of "gravity as geometry", mass is seen as a form of energy and is responsible for the curvature of spacetime, which in turn affects the motion of other objects.

5. Are there any current experiments or observations that support the idea of "gravity as geometry"?

Yes, there have been numerous experiments and observations that support the theory of "gravity as geometry". These include the confirmation of the existence of gravitational waves, the precise measurements of the orbit of Mercury, and the observation of the bending of light around massive objects, among others.