Can Spinning the Earth Faster Reduce Gravity?

• Thread starter YupHio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the theory presented by the guy is not valid because an accelerated frame of reference cannot be used in this scenario. Additionally, spinning the Earth faster would not have a significant effect on the satellite's orbit, and the observer would have to be at rest and local to the satellite in order to perceive it as stationary.
YupHio
A guy told me this theory which will counter act gravity and here is an explanation to destroy his theory:

You are on a satellite orbiting the Earth at high speeds using centripetal force (acceleration) to overcome gravity (same characteristics as acceleration). Now, relative to the satellite (you can't have an accelerated frame of reference, like a satellite, for relativity but I'll get to that later) you are looking down and it just looks like the Earth is rotating at a certain speed, it could even look still if the satellite is moving in the same direction as the Earth's rotation.

That is the scenario and from that base, there are a few things to understand. First off, the entire scenario is theoretically possible though you can't take a frame of reference because everything is spinning, thus constantly changing direction, hence accelerating, therefore It would be an accelerated frame of reference, in which case using relativity would defy the laws of physics. So, this guy said something like: now imagine you have the Earth and the satellite, and you are looking at both of them from thousands of miles away. You are RELATIVE TO THE SATELLITE (we discussed that earlier) so the satellite "isn't moving". Now, you reach out your arm (something like a 2,000 mile long arm) and you spin the Earth faster. The faster the Earth spins, the lesser the gravity, because you are making more centripetal force and overcoming gravity (acting as the "centriFUGAL" force).

At the time, I didn't know what to say to him so I thought about it for a few days and the more i thought about it, the more it made sense. After I thought for a good long time I remembered YOU CAN'T HAVE AN ACCELERATED FRAME OF REFERENCE. And now I feel stupid for not realizing that sooner.

Physics news on Phys.org
YupHio said:
A guy told me this theory which will counter act gravity and here is an explanation to destroy his theory:

You are on a satellite orbiting the Earth at high speeds using centripetal force (acceleration) to overcome gravity (same characteristics as acceleration). Now, relative to the satellite (you can't have an accelerated frame of reference, like a satellite, for relativity but I'll get to that later) you are looking down and it just looks like the Earth is rotating at a certain speed, it could even look still if the satellite is moving in the same direction as the Earth's rotation.

That is the scenario and from that base, there are a few things to understand. First off, the entire scenario is theoretically possible though you can't take a frame of reference because everything is spinning, thus constantly changing direction, hence accelerating, therefore It would be an accelerated frame of reference, in which case using relativity would defy the laws of physics. So, this guy said something like: now imagine you have the Earth and the satellite, and you are looking at both of them from thousands of miles away. You are RELATIVE TO THE SATELLITE (we discussed that earlier) so the satellite "isn't moving". Now, you reach out your arm (something like a 2,000 mile long arm) and you spin the Earth faster. The faster the Earth spins, the lesser the gravity, because you are making more centripetal force and overcoming gravity (acting as the "centriFUGAL" force).

At the time, I didn't know what to say to him so I thought about it for a few days and the more i thought about it, the more it made sense. After I thought for a good long time I remembered YOU CAN'T HAVE AN ACCELERATED FRAME OF REFERENCE. And now I feel stupid for not realizing that sooner.
Sure you can use an accelerated reference frame. But, discounting small tidal effects, the satellite isn't accelerating in GR, it's in inertial motion. It's only accelerating relative to Earth's rest frame, not its own. Neither centripetal force or gravity are forces in GR.

But the only way for an observer far away to stay at rest relative to the satellite would be to accelerate himself using powerful rockets, ie a real force of some kind.

The spectator could be on another "earth" and in another satellite with the same trajectory as the satellite orbiting earth.

Spinning the Earth faster will probably have much less effect on the satellite than you imagine. For example doubling the spin of the Earth will have very little effect on the satellite except for a minor frame dragging effect, while doubling the orbital speed of the satellite will have a very significant effect on the satellite.

YupHio said:
The spectator could be on another "earth" and in another satellite with the same trajectory as the satellite orbiting earth.

If the two satellites are exactly synchronised, the Earth satellite will appear to be stationary from the point of view of the observer on the distant satellite. To him it will look like the Earth is orbiting around the satellite and whether or not the Earth is spinning or not will have little effect on its orbital speed around the satellite or on any perceived centripetal or centrifugal force.

Spinning the Earth faster will have more effect that I imagined, because I imagined that it would have pretty much no effect. And the bottom of the satellite is always facing the Earth so it would actually look like the Earth is spinning. But this thread is kind of stupid if viewed by anybody but the "guy" (my friend). I should have just emailed him the explanation. lol

YupHio said:
Well, that's not the way I understood your initial post. In this case, the observer would be at rest with and local to the satellite, not "far away". It is impossible to stay at rest with the satellite, but not local to it, without using some means of acceleration.

Related to Can Spinning the Earth Faster Reduce Gravity?

What is the "Gravity Dilemma"?

The "Gravity Dilemma" refers to the conflict between two prominent theories in physics - general relativity and quantum mechanics - when it comes to explaining the force of gravity.

Why is the "Gravity Dilemma" important?

The "Gravity Dilemma" is important because it has yet to be resolved and is a major obstacle in our understanding of the universe. It also has practical implications for technologies that rely on our understanding of gravity, such as space travel and GPS systems.

What is general relativity and how does it explain gravity?

General relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes gravity as the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of mass and energy. This theory has been proven to accurately explain large-scale phenomena, such as the motion of planets and galaxies.

What is quantum mechanics and how does it explain gravity?

Quantum mechanics is a theory that explains the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. It does not directly explain gravity, but some scientists believe that by combining quantum mechanics with general relativity, we can gain a better understanding of the force of gravity.

How do scientists currently reconcile the conflict between general relativity and quantum mechanics?

Currently, there is no consensus on how to reconcile the conflict between general relativity and quantum mechanics. Some scientists are working on developing a theory of quantum gravity, while others are exploring alternative explanations for gravity, such as string theory.