Gravity Illusion: Questions on Space-Time Curvature Granularity

In summary: AGGs use a combination of lasers, sensors, and GPS receivers to measure how the gravity field changes as a function of location and time. "The beauty of gravity gradiometry is that you can basically fly over an area and take pictures of it, and then use those pictures to generate a three-dimensional map of the gravity field," explained Harry Kupfer, Ph.D., a senior research scientist at Houston-based oilfield services company Schlumberger. "You can get a good idea of the thickness and extent of any subsurface layer."GG technology is also being increasingly used for detecting oil and gas reserves because it can extract information about the subsurface that can’t be obtained any
gaaah
I wonder if someone would field a beginner's muse I had: If gravity is just an illusion of the curvature of space caused by mass, does not the matter within that space follow the curve? and what is the granularity of that curvature? Does the curvature exist in the space between the nucleus and the electrons? Is the nucleus itself curved? Are the electrons curved?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure it's correct to say that gravity is an illusion. Rather, for a long time we interpreted it as a force, but now we regard it as curved spacetime. Matter does, indeed, follow curved paths as a result.

However, exactly how gravity works on the quantum scale is an open question. We don't have a complete answer, largely because we haven't done experiments precise enough to detect gravity at that scale.

Likes gaaah
gaaah said:
If gravity is just an illusion
It isn’t an illusion. And I am pretty sure that no professional source characterized it that way.

gaaah said:
the curvature of space caused by mass

Mass (more generally, stress-energy) doesn't curve space, it curves spacetime.

gaaah said:
I wonder if someone would field a beginner's muse I had: If gravity is just an illusion of the curvature of space caused by mass, does not the matter within that space follow the curve? and what is the granularity of that curvature? Does the curvature exist in the space between the nucleus and the electrons? Is the nucleus itself curved? Are the electrons curved?

I wouldn't say that gravity is an illusion, but I would say it's a consequence of the curvature of space-time. I'm not sure what you mean by "matter within that space follows the curve", though there is a well known remark by Wheeler.
Wheeler said:
Spacetime tells matter how to move; matter tells spacetime how to curve.

Note that for technical reasons Wheeler says "matter" and not "mass". That is because there are other properties of matter other than "mass" that contribute to space-time curvature.

The curvature, in the form of the Riemann curvature tensor, does exist in the empty space where there is no matter. For example, the sun is a lump of matter, and it causes space-time curvature here on the Earth, which we can see and measure directly in terms of the tidal forces that are present on the Earth. An instrument known as the "gravity gradiometer", and also as the "Forward mass detector" can use these local tidal force measurements to detect the presence and distribution of distant masses. The underlying theory has practical usage for the purposes of oil exploration.

The Gravity of Oil and Gas Exploration
By Trent Jacobs 21 Jan 2015

A Cold War technology invented to stealthily guide the United States Navy’s nuclear submarine fleet is now serving a much more peaceful purpose: aiding in the search for oil and gas deposits. Far removed from the ocean depths, gravity gradiometry has evolved to become an increasingly sophisticated aerial technology that has been used to rapidly analyze the subsurface of every continent in the world.

Since its introduction to the oil and gas industry in the 1990s, airborne gravity gradiometer (AGG) technology has become an increasingly popular greenfield exploration tool because of its ability to analyze wide areas onboard airplanes for a fraction of the cost of 3D and 3D seismic surveys.

1. What is a gravity illusion?

A gravity illusion is a phenomenon where the perception of gravity is distorted due to the warping of space-time caused by massive objects. This can cause objects to appear to be moving in ways that do not align with the laws of gravity.

2. How does space-time curvature affect gravity?

Space-time curvature is a concept in Einstein's theory of general relativity, which states that massive objects can warp the fabric of space-time. This warping affects the path of objects, causing them to move in a curved trajectory, which we perceive as the force of gravity.

3. What is granularity in the context of space-time curvature?

Granularity refers to the idea that space-time is not continuous, but rather made up of tiny building blocks or units. This concept is still being explored and is not yet fully understood, but it could potentially help explain some of the mysteries of gravity and the universe.

4. How does the concept of granularity impact our understanding of gravity?

The idea of granularity in space-time has the potential to provide a more complete understanding of gravity. It may help explain the behavior of gravity at very small or very large scales, where our current theories fall short. It could also provide a link between gravity and other fundamental forces in the universe.

5. Can we observe the effects of space-time granularity?

At this time, we do not have the technology or means to directly observe the effects of space-time granularity. However, scientists are actively researching and developing new methods and technologies to potentially detect and study these tiny units of space-time.