What is the impact of other forces on measuring gravity on a very small scale?

In summary, a shy math department representative watched a science show about gravity on a small scale and was curious about how other forces may affect the measurements. The show explained that they take steps to limit interference from other forces in order to accurately measure gravity.
ArcanaNoir
Hi.. umm, I'm from the math department, and um...I'm shy... hello physics people...

So I saw this thing on tv, I think it was Through the Wormhole..I'm not sure..and um, don't judge me for watching "science for the uneducated masses"...

But anyway, they were talking about gravity, and they were examining gravity on a very small scale. They were conducting an experiment that measured gravity on a very small scale and (the lab was underground to limit interference) they said things like rush hour traffic or airplanes could skew the data. I was wondering, at that small small scale, don't other forces, like cohesion and adhesion and static electricity and other properties I don't know about, don't they overwhelm the force of gravity? How do they know they are measuring gravity, and not some other force?

Just so it's not misunderstood, we're talking about gravity BETWEEN objects, not between the Earth and an object.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the electromagnetic force that causes all atoms and molecules to stick together and governs most everyday observable effects vastly outdoes gravity. They know they are measuring gravity by ensuring that the setup of the experiment screens out as many of these effects as possible. Doing experiments in a vacuum chamber would almost eliminate most effects from colliding gas molecules for example. Shielding the chamber would reduce any cosmic rays or EM radiation from affecting it and electrical effects from building up. Note that these aren't specific examples of how they perform the experiments, as I don't know the exact setups. I'm just using them as overall examples.

Related to What is the impact of other forces on measuring gravity on a very small scale?

1. What is the role of gravity on a very small scale?

Gravity plays a significant role on a very small scale, such as on the atomic and subatomic level. It is responsible for the attraction between particles, which allows atoms to form molecules and creates the structure of matter.

2. How does gravity behave differently on a very small scale compared to a large scale?

On a very small scale, gravity behaves differently than on a large scale. It follows the laws of quantum mechanics, which means it can exist in both attractive and repulsive forms. This is in contrast to the classical understanding of gravity as purely attractive.

3. Can gravity be manipulated on a very small scale?

Yes, gravity can be manipulated on a very small scale through various means such as using electromagnetic fields or creating high-energy environments. However, these manipulations are only applicable on the quantum level and do not have a significant effect on everyday objects.

4. How does gravity affect the behavior of particles on a very small scale?

Gravity affects the behavior of particles on a very small scale by influencing their movement and interactions with other particles. It can also affect the wave-like properties of particles, such as their frequency and wavelength.

5. Is gravity the only force that operates on a very small scale?

No, gravity is not the only force that operates on a very small scale. Other fundamental forces such as electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force also play significant roles in the behavior of particles on a small scale.