GRE Physics Score Calculation Explained

• Testing
  • Thread starter Silviu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gre
In summary, the GRE Physics score is calculated based on the number of questions answered correctly, with each correct answer being worth +1 point and each incorrect answer resulting in a deduction of -1/4 of a point. However, the score is normalized to account for the difficulty of previous exam editions, with the 1980 edition being considered the most challenging. This normalization is reflected in the percentile, which indicates how well a test-taker performed compared to others who took the test. More information on scoring can be found in practice tests available online.
Silviu
Hello! Can someone please explain to me how the GRE Physics score is calculated. I just know there are 100 questions, and for each wrong question you lose 1/4 of the value of the question. But I understand that there is a way to normalize the score to previous editions and I don't really understand. Can someone explain to me all the details of these please! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The thing that matters is your percentile - for example, if you finish in the 75% percentile, you did better than 75% of the people who took the test.

Likes Dr. Courtney
I'm not sure that there is an exact formula for normalizing across previous exam editions. The only purpose of this is to account for the difficulty of some of the practice exams; the 1980(?) one, if I recall correctly, is generally considered to be more difficult than the other previous exams provided, so performing a few points lower on that one shouldn't scare you. That's the only purpose of this "normalization".

However, as V50 said, this "normalization" is accounted for in your percentile. When grading a practice test, your raw score will be converted into a percentile.

To know scoring details, just look in a practice test, available online. I think each correct answer is +1, and each incorrect answer is -1/4.

Related to GRE Physics Score Calculation Explained

1. What is the GRE Physics test?

The GRE Physics test is a standardized test that measures a student's knowledge and understanding of basic physics concepts. It is often used as a requirement for admission to graduate physics programs.

2. How is the GRE Physics score calculated?

The GRE Physics score is calculated based on the number of questions answered correctly in the multiple-choice section. Each correct answer is worth one point, and there is no penalty for incorrect answers. The raw score is then converted to a scaled score on a range of 200-990.

3. What is a good GRE Physics score?

A good GRE Physics score would vary depending on the individual's goals and the competitiveness of the program they are applying to. Generally, a score above 700 is considered competitive for most graduate physics programs.

4. Can I use a calculator on the GRE Physics test?

No, calculators are not allowed on the GRE Physics test. However, some basic formulas and constants will be provided on the test.

5. How can I prepare for the GRE Physics test?

To prepare for the GRE Physics test, it is recommended to review key physics concepts and practice answering multiple-choice questions similar to those on the test. There are also study guides and practice tests available online and through test preparation companies.