Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GRE Physics test prep tips

Tags:
  1. Apr 7, 2004 #1
    Share your experiences about benifits that u got by taking GRE Physics test.
    U can also tell the story about your preperation for the test.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2004 #2
    I am currently preparing to take the test, I use Halliday and Resnick and also Serway for preparation. I have some schaums books to to review things from it.
    I am to take it next nov.

hhegab

PS.
    Pple here who have gone through this experience should help us in this please

4. May 2, 2004 #3
    Physics GRE

HI

Can anyone tell me some reference books and internet links for Physics GRE.

Thanks

Dimitra

5. May 4, 2004 #4
    best thing is to re-read the courses you had studied before in ur undergrad. and try to solve the 3 exams released from ETS.
    you can share me ur opinions.
    as for links,
    www.grephysics.com is a nice link

hhegab

6. May 11, 2004 #5
  7. Oct 21, 2004 #6
    Does anybody know where I can get hold of a copy of the official ETS GRE Physics Prep Book? I've tried amazon, ebay and the major bookstores but nobody seem to have them in stock!

8. Oct 21, 2004 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Having an Engineering degree and applying to grad school in Physics, I was required to take the GRE Physics test.

About 3 or 4 days before my test, I found a book - it was either the ETS book or a Schaum's Series book - that basically listed a whole bunch of important results, without going into any of the theory. I quickly went through it to refresh my memory.

I did okay...not great, but not too bad, considering my background. I scored about 800 out of 990 (or about 80 percentile, if I recall correctly).

As I was accepted by more than half the grad schools that I applied to, I'm guessing the score didn't hurt me too badly.

9. Oct 21, 2004 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
  10. Oct 21, 2004 #9
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
  11. Oct 21, 2004 #10
    USD 125 sounds a bit steep for such a book to me though! :uhh:

12. Oct 21, 2004 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, books are way expensive here. But oddly, there was something about $13...on that page - I didn't look carefully to see what that was.

I sometimes buy books from the UK to get them cheaper. :redface:

13. Nov 13, 2004 #12
    Gokul43201, can u give me some names of those places you applied to?

mborn

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook