Green's function for Klein-Gordon equation in x-space

In summary: From there, the integrals can be evaluated using complex contour integration methods. In summary, the x-space result for the Green's function for the Klein-Gordon equation is derived using a few key steps, including using an integral identity, completing the square, and using the Gaussian integral. This leads to Schlafli's integral representation of the Bessel function, which can then be evaluated using complex contour integration methods. Some helpful references for further understanding include Bogoliubov & Shirkov and Feynman's "The BS Book."
RedSonja
I'm trying to derive the x-space result for the Green's function for the Klein-Gordon equation, but my complex analysis skills seems to be insufficient. The result should be:

\begin{eqnarray}
G_F(x,x') = \lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^4} \int d^4k\frac{e^{-ik\cdot(x-x')}}{k^2-\frac{m^2c^2}{\hbar^2}+i\epsilon}
= \left(-\frac{1}{4\pi} \delta (s^2) + \frac{mc^2}{8 \pi \hbar s} H_1^{(1)} \left(\frac{mc^2}{\hbar} s \right) \right) \:\Theta (s)
- \frac{m}{4\pi^2 s} K_1 \left(i\frac{mc^2}{\hbar} s \right) \:\Theta(-s))\\
\end{eqnarray}

with [itex]s^2 = c^2(t-t')^2-(\vec{x}-\vec{x}')^2[/itex], the source point [itex]x'[/itex], [itex]\Theta(s)[/itex] the Heaviside stepfunction, [itex]H_1^{(1)}(x)[/itex] the Hankel function of the first kind, and [itex]K_1(x)[/itex] the modified Bessel function of the second kind.

I changed to spherical polar coordinates and did the [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] integrals first. From there I've tried several approaches, but I always end up with a complex integral of a multivalued function:

\begin{equation}
\int \frac{f(z)}{\sqrt{z^2 \pm a^2}} dz
\end{equation}

From residues I get zero when [itex]f(z)[/itex] is an exponential function, but that can't be right?

Both my quantum field theory and many-particle books work in k-space and I haven't found the derivation here.

Would someone be kind enough to guide me throught the correct procedure for the different steps of the Fourier transform of the Feynman propagator?

Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried greiner quantum electrodynamics.I think the x-space green function is derived there(but perhaps for spin 1/2 but that will lead you the way)

It ain't easy!

G(x,x') = (2π)-4∫eip·(x-x')/(p2 + m2-i0) d4p

Making use of the integral identity

0 e-i(ξ-i0)s ds ≡ -i/(ξ-i0)

we obtain

G(x,x') = i/(2π)40 ds ∫exp{-i[(p2+m2-i0)s - p·(x-x')]} d4p

Now complete the square in the exponent and use the Gaussian integral,

-∞ eiax2 dx ≡ √(π/a) exp{(i a/|a|)(π/4)}

G(x,x') = (4π)-20 s-2 exp{-i[m2s - (x-x')2/4s]}ds

From there, in a few more steps it reduces to Schlafli's integral representation of the Bessel function.

Last edited:
Cheers, Bill_K!
I just knew there had to be a neat trick for this!

There may be some useful comments amongst this fairly ancient thread

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=217846

(probably my own posts in it were too terse to be much help.) There were some references mentioned which might be more helpful. Bogoliubov & Shirkov definitely does it. There was also a little book by Feynman that had them in an appendix.

Thanks for calling attention to that! In fact, the 3rd Edition of "The BS Book" can be read online here.

Basically what they do is to reduce the Green's functions to a different integral representation of the Bessel functions, namely integrals of the form ∫-∞ eiz sinh t dt.

1. What is the Green's function for the Klein-Gordon equation in x-space?

The Green's function for the Klein-Gordon equation in x-space is a mathematical tool used to solve for the amplitude of a field at a specific point in space and time. It takes into account the source of the field and the boundary conditions.

2. How is the Green's function for the Klein-Gordon equation in x-space derived?

The Green's function is derived by solving the Klein-Gordon equation for a point source in an infinite homogeneous medium. This solution is then used to construct the Green's function for other sources and boundary conditions.

3. What is the physical significance of the Green's function for the Klein-Gordon equation in x-space?

The Green's function represents the response of the field to a source at a specific point in space and time. It can be used to calculate the field at any point in space and time, making it a powerful tool in understanding the behavior of physical systems.

4. How is the Green's function for the Klein-Gordon equation in x-space used in practical applications?

The Green's function is used in a variety of fields, such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and solid state physics. It can help solve problems involving wave propagation, scattering, and boundary value problems.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of Green's function for the Klein-Gordon equation in x-space?

Like any mathematical tool, the Green's function has its limitations. It is most useful for linear systems and may not be applicable to nonlinear systems. It also assumes an infinite homogeneous medium, which may not be the case in real-world scenarios.