Crafting the Perfect Grooms Speech: Tips for Your Big Day

• Thread starter Andy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tips
In summary, Andy's fiancee refuses to have a wedding, so Andy had to have a courthouse wedding. He tells his story of how he went about it, and how you should pick on the good bits.
Andy
Hi everybody, i have 16 days to prepare a speech for my increasingly closer wedding day so my question to you is this, what makes a good grooms speech?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Old School Hip Hop Lyrics.

Andy said:
Hi everybody, i have 16 days to prepare a speech for my increasingly closer wedding day so my question to you is this, what makes a good grooms speech?

Is that a Brittish tradition? I hadn't heard of a groom's speach before. Here in the US, it's more common for the Best Man to give a toast to the Bride and Groom after the ceremony, and that can be a short speach sometimes. What are you supposed to talk about in a groom's speach?

Yea its very much tradition in the UK, standard procedure is to have 3 speeches, the father of the bride, followed by the groom and then the best man. My job is to say thanks to the parents, grooms party and bridal party. What has really stumped me is on how to speak about my fiance's family, she was adopted as a young child and her adopted mother died 7 years ago just before i met her, I am really not sure as to whether or not i should mention this.

It is common for the Groom to do a toast or small speech during the rehearsal dinner the night before.

Andy said:
Yea its very much tradition in the UK, standard procedure is to have 3 speeches, the father of the bride, followed by the groom and then the best man. My job is to say thanks to the parents, grooms party and bridal party. What has really stumped me is on how to speak about my fiance's family, she was adopted as a young child and her adopted mother died 7 years ago just before i met her, I am really not sure as to whether or not i should mention this.
Congratulations Andy!

I would ask your fiancee what she feels is appropriate.

This is why I refused to have a wedding, both marriages. I got married by the Justice of the Peace. My second marriage was done in the County Courthouse during my lunch break. My boss was a good Christian woman and since I was living in sin before the "wedding" she wouldn't even grant me an extra hour off to make it legal, I was already doomed to hell in her opinion. :tongue2:

Good luck and wishes for much happiness!

Evo said:
This is why I refused to have a wedding

It's not really any of my business, but come on... really? The only reason I could ever think of not having a wedding would be because of financial limitations. I don't see why the speeches would stop you.

Andy, Evo has a point. Ask her what she would be happy with. You don't need to disclose any details about the speech, just ask for guidance about where it should be heading.

Mentallic said:
It's not really any of my business, but come on... really? The only reason I could ever think of not having a wedding would be because of financial limitations. I don't see why the speeches would stop you.
Not just speeches, but everything that comes with a formal wedding. I told my parents to spend the money they would have spent on a wedding on practical things. I got a new BMW, a large downpayment on a new house, furniture, and a wonderful island honeymoon. No bills to start off the marriage. And now that we're divorced, I'm especially happy that I went practical.

Congrats, Andy.
This takes me aback as well as some of the previous respondents. I've been the best man at 3 weddings, and the toast to the bride and groom always came from the the father of the bride (or his surrogate). My task was to toast the maid of honour and bride'smaids. Also to take the 3rd dance. First was bride and groom alone, then the bride with her father and the groom with his mother, then me and the maid of honour, then the ushers with the bride'smaids, then everyone.

edit: Holy sheep****! You guys have posted a lot while I was composing the foregoing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one Andy, good job!

Pick on the good bits, don't mention the bad bits, take the piss in a good way, complement the women (especially the old ones, they love that bollocks) and end on a high.

All the best!

Evo said:
I was already doomed to hell in her opinion.
Well now... if PF is Hell, let us all be damned and be glad for it.
By the bye, I had to kick a couple of Jesus freaks off of my porch last week. I was far more polite than usual this time. I was having a nice wee nap on the couch, and this bozo started hammering on my front door. (And to start with, anyone who knows me knows that I don't ever use the front door.)
I finally made it to the door, huffing and puffing like crazy because I can't breathe at that speed, to find some dapper moron standing there with his boy-toy a couple of steps below. I opened the door and stared at him, but didn't say anything. He then said "Hello. Joshua and I would like to sit down and talk about the bible with you."
My immediate response, (remember that I'm keeping it polite) was a somewhat incredulous "Excuse me...?"
He then asked, in a puzzled tone "Do you not want to talk about the bible?" You cannot believe the mental effort that it took for me to not choke the living **** out of him right then and there, but instead I just said "Hell, no; I'm a semi-militant Atheist!" and locked the door in his face.
I wish sometimes that I had my father's patience. He used to "invite" (in the spider way) those bozos into his study, and then would not let them leave until he had re-educated them. You wouldn't believe how many die-hard Christians left my home as Agnostics or Atheists. :biggrin:

edit: Bloody 'ell, I just thought of my next approach to the situation, should it arise again. I'll open the door, eyeball the guy and the boy, and, without giving him a chance to speak, say "I'm totally in favour of gay rights, but I can't afford to contribute today." Then lock the door in his face.

Last edited:
Andy said:
I've given best man speeches, but I don't remember any speech I gave as a groom, except to thank our family and friends for their support, and also for the nice gifts, which were rather practical for a young couple. Really I enjoyed the company of our friends.

As a best man at a recent wedding - couple of years ago - I reflected on the couple and getting to know the bride and her family.

I your case, I'd thank the parents for raising your fiancee, and how you've enjoyed (hopefully you do) getting to know them and becoming part of that family, and reflect on how fiancee's mom might have been happy that her daughter has found a nice guy (hopefully you are) and that you would have liked to have met her, and that you'll do your best to fulfill expectations.

And check with the fiancee as Evo suggested.

I never met my wife's father because he had died many years before.

If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Congrats Andy

Here's a first draft for an attempt for a groom speech

Dear family and friends,

It's an exceptional honor and privilege to address you tonight on behalf of my lovely wife your beloved daughter, sister, cousin/niece, friend, and on behalf of myself. Trust me, that will never happen again. So, it's truly exceptional indeed.

Let me first explain why it’s so great to having been chosen as her better part.

**don’t forget to insert some nice things here**

And I’m very lucky that I found somebody who can endure my bad jokes and also seems to be immune for all my **insert your bad habits here**.

Oh, It's a good habit to ensure you all that the groom is not as bad as I just said, but that he is a worthy partner of lovely *** here. So my good points are…, yes…,

**take a long break here**

Ah oh yes, for instance multi tasking, It is said that men can’t multitask. Well that’s not true in my case. I am an excellent multi tasker. Try this, I can watch the game on TV, analyse the game, scold the referee, while drinking beer, eating popcorn and ignoring my wife. All at the same time, try that for multitasking.

Etc etc.

oh, and you can google groom speeches.

Evo said:
Not just speeches, but everything that comes with a formal wedding. I told my parents to spend the money they would have spent on a wedding on practical things. I got a new BMW, a large downpayment on a new house, furniture, and a wonderful island honeymoon. No bills to start off the marriage. And now that we're divorced, I'm especially happy that I went practical.
While it does seem logical, I just couldn't skip on that formal occasion. Some things we do in a relationship are just as illogical, but still hold a place in many people's hearts. For example - going out to a fancy restaurant versus eating in and saving that money for some other material good. I just don't see myself having it any other way.

But again, it seems like a good plan if you don't mind missing out on it :smile:

Andre said:
oh, and you can google groom speeches.
Does he need to read out the citation too?

Andy said:

Maybe a speech which exemplifies the groom's wisdom about what makes a good marriage. After all, it's not the wedding that counts, but rather the following marriage into the years after the "honeymoon" effect has worn off, say what, three or four, maybe six months? What about after then? "What does it take to have a healthy marriage?" Maybe you could start it what way? I mean if she was my girl, I'd not be too interested in the thank you's or recognizing that one or this one, or the wedding thing, but rather, how is he going to . . . "be"? Maybe that should be in the vows: "I solemnly swear to pursue an understanding of what it takes to make a marriage work."

wow good luck dude[PLAIN]http://www.focustracker.com/i/smilies/smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers for the advice and ideas, i do have a few ideas myself, so hopefully with the help of you guys and with the aid of google i will be able to sort out something reasonable, will keep you posted on how I am doing.

Congrats, Andy!

There are good ideas here - my $0.02: I wouldn't mention the adoption. In the eyes of the family, a child is a child, the bonds are the same.

If the family is religious you might mention that 'Mom is certainly with us here today' (but don't mention she's been spending most of her time lingering around the bar :tongue2:).

Congrats Andy! And JC! GOoGLE? Come on man. I mean, I know its not the hottest thing on the planet, but even so, googling for a grooms speech is low man :D.

All the best for your wedding though!

1. What should be included in a groom's speech?

A groom's speech should include a heartfelt thank you to all those who have supported you and your partner, such as family and friends. You can also express your love for your partner and share some special memories or inside jokes. It's also important to thank the vendors and guests for being a part of your special day.

2. How long should a groom's speech be?

A groom's speech should typically be around 5-7 minutes long. It's important to keep it short and sweet, as you don't want to bore your guests or take up too much time. Practice beforehand to ensure your speech fits within this time frame.

3. Should a groom's speech be rehearsed?

Yes, it's always a good idea to rehearse your speech beforehand. This will help you feel more confident and make sure you don't forget any important points. However, don't memorize your speech word for word, as it may come across as too rehearsed and insincere.

4. How can I make my groom's speech more personal?

To make your groom's speech more personal, think about including personal anecdotes, inside jokes, or special memories that you and your partner share. This will make your speech more heartfelt and memorable for both you and your guests.

5. Is it appropriate to include humor in a groom's speech?

Yes, including humor in your groom's speech can help lighten the mood and make your guests laugh. However, be mindful of your audience and make sure your jokes are appropriate and not offensive. Keep it light and tasteful.