Ground state density requirement

In summary, the conversation is about the ground state and excited states in different potentials and the number of nodes they have. The participants discuss the relationship between the number of nodes and the "level" of excitation, as well as trying to mathematically prove that the number of nodes equals the level of excitation. They also mention the use of Strum-Liouville problems and variational techniques in proving the properties of eigenfunctions. One participant recommends a textbook by Messiah for detailed proofs.
dRic2
Gold Member
Homework Statement
For any one-electron problem one can readily determine whether or not any given density is a possible ground state density. Using the known properties of solutions of the schrodinger equation, give a sufficient set of condition that any function must satisfy in order to guarantee that it is the ground state density of some potential.

Show that it is not possible to construct the density of the 2s state of the hydrogen atom (1 proton 1 electron) as the ground state of any smooth potential, i.e. one without delta functions.
Relevant Equations
I've been think about it for hours but I'm really out of clue here... The only things I could think of are obvious or useless... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider how the ground state looks like in different potentials. How much of a "wavelength" fits in there for the ground state? Can it be more?

Thank you for the reply. I'm sorry but I'm not understanding: what does How much of a wavelength fits in there mean?

Check the ground state for some systems and you should see some pattern. Compare it to the second energy level for example.

• Informative
Likes dRic2
I noticed that usually gs densities are "bell-shaped" with only one "hill". Excited states have more that one "hill" (as in the case of 2s state of H). This, if true, is obviously related to the second derivative of the density, thus to the wave function, but I've yet to put it in a mathematical way. Am I on the right track ?

That's a good approach. What happens between the hills of the excited states? Is there some special point you can find?

Yes, those point satisfy ##n(r)=0##. Thus also ##ψ(r)=0##. I think I can call those point "nodes". It seems to me that the number nodes is equal to "level" of the excited states.

Btw now I see what you meant by How much of a wavelength fits in there. I can infer from what I've found so far that the number of wavelength of a state equals the number of nodes thus the "level" of the excitation. The gs has only 1 wavelength (the largest one) corresponding to the value of lowest energy.

Now I have to show that ##n_{\text{nodes}}=n##. I don't actually know how to prove it in a general way, but maybe I can exploit the fact that the Sch. eq (at least in 1 dimension) resembles a Strum-Liouville problem. Usually when solving SL problems I get polynomials (like for QHO or Hydrogen atom) for which it's known that the number of zeros equals the degree of the polynomial. Maybe there is a simpler way, what do you think ?

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
dRic2 said:
Btw now I see what you meant by How much of a wavelength fits in there. I can infer from what I've found so far that the number of wavelength of a state equals the number of nodes thus the "level" of the excitation. The gs has only 1 wavelength (the largest one) corresponding to the value of lowest energy.
There is a factor 2 between them, but yes, that's the right relation.
dRic2 said:
Now I have to show that ##n_{\text{nodes}}=n##
Might need "+1" depending on the counting.
Not sure how to prove it mathematically.

Ok, I did a quick search and if the potential has spherical symmetry (separations of variables in spherical coordinates holds) then you can prove it considering the properties of a Strum-Liouville problem, but it is not as easy as I thought. On the other hand the fact that GS can't have nodes can be shown in various methods, mainly with variational techniques. I found this paper which proposes a proof for a general non-velocity-dependent potential ( http://www.ecm.ub.es/nuclear/jordi/articles/varprinc2002.pdf )

Thanks again for all the help!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes mfb
The textbook by Messiah on QM has very detailed proofs about 1D eigenvalue problems. There's also a nice elementary proof for the theorem about the nodes of eigenfunctions of self-adjoint operators.

• Informative
Likes mfb and dRic2

1. What is the ground state density requirement in physics?

The ground state density requirement in physics refers to the minimum number of particles that must be present in a given volume in order for the system to reach its lowest possible energy state, also known as the ground state.

2. Why is the ground state density requirement important?

The ground state density requirement is important because it helps us understand the behavior of particles in a system and their interactions with each other. It also allows us to predict the properties and behavior of materials at the atomic and subatomic level.

3. How is the ground state density requirement calculated?

The ground state density requirement is calculated by dividing the total number of particles in a given volume by the volume itself. This gives us the number of particles per unit volume, which is also known as the particle density.

4. What factors can affect the ground state density requirement?

The ground state density requirement can be affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the type of particles present in the system. Changes in these factors can alter the energy levels and interactions between particles, thus affecting the ground state density requirement.

5. How does the ground state density requirement relate to quantum mechanics?

The ground state density requirement is closely related to quantum mechanics because it helps us understand the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, which is governed by the laws of quantum mechanics. The ground state density requirement also plays a crucial role in determining the energy levels and properties of quantum systems.