Group Action on a Set: Counting Transitive Z6 Sets Up to Isomorphism

In summary, there are 3 transitive Z6-sets up to isomorphism: 1 set with 1 element, 1 set with 2 elements, and 1 set with 3 elements. The two tables provided are isomorphic Z6-sets, demonstrating that there exist non-isomorphic sets with the same number of elements.
tgt

Homework Statement

Up to isomorphism, how many transitive Z6={0,1,2,3,4,5} sets X are there? In other words Z6 acting on X. How many X, up to isomorphism are there?

Homework Equations

A key theorem is Let X be a G-set and let x in X. Then |Gx|=(G:G_{x}).

The Attempt at a Solution

I found 1 set with 1 element. 1 set with 2 elements. 2 sets with 3 elements. 5*5! sets with 6 elements.

However the answer only had 1 set with 1 element. 1 set with 2 elements. 1 set with 3 elements.

Surely there should be at least a set with 6 elements?

Physics news on Phys.org
There indeed should be a transitive G-set with 6 elements. Unless, of course, you missed a condition of the problem...

As for your counts, remember that you were asked to count isomorphism classes...

Hurkyl said:
There indeed should be a transitive G-set with 6 elements. Unless, of course, you missed a condition of the problem...As for your counts, remember that you were asked to count isomorphism classes...

Didn't leave out any of the problem. It is on p196 q17 of Fraleigh's book.

Yes, I see up to isomorphism. Take the set with 3 elements. I am able to produce to different multiplication tables with the same three elements in the set. That must mean two non isomorphic sets.

I'm not convinced. What are your two examples?

Hurkyl said:
I'm not convinced. What are your two examples?

Attached is the two tables. Once the fixed elements and the multiples of 1 line is determined, the rest of the table is self explanatory by the axiom that a(bx)=(ab)x.

Attachments

• two tables.doc
    32 KB · Views: 212
What do people think?

Hurkyl, have you disappeared?

I didn't want to download a .doc file, so I was hoping someone else who wasn't bothered would chime in.

Strange reason? Are you worried about your memory?

Anyway, here it is without the .doc file

* a b c
0 a b c
1 b c a
3 a b c

* a b c
0 a b c
1 c a b
3 a b c

The above are the two different tables hence two different isomorphisms.

But those are isomorphic Z6-sets. One isomorphism is

a |--> a
b |--> c
c |--> b

1. What is a group action on a set?

A group action on a set is a mathematical concept where a group, which is a set of elements with a defined operation, acts on a set by permuting its elements in a consistent and meaningful way.

2. What are the properties of a group action on a set?

There are three main properties of a group action on a set: 1) The identity element of the group leaves every element in the set unchanged. 2) The group action is associative, meaning that the order in which the elements of the group are applied to the set does not matter. 3) Every element in the set has a unique inverse element in the group that can undo the action performed on it.

3. How is a group action on a set represented?

A group action on a set can be represented in different ways, depending on the context. In general, it can be represented as a function that maps an element of the group to a permutation of the set, or as a matrix where the rows and columns represent the elements of the group and the set, respectively.

4. What is the significance of group actions in mathematics?

Group actions have many applications in mathematics, including in the study of symmetry, group theory, and algebraic structures. They also have practical applications in areas such as coding theory, cryptography, and computer graphics.

5. How are group actions related to symmetry?

Group actions and symmetry are closely related, as group actions can be used to describe and analyze symmetry in geometric objects. In fact, group actions are often used to define and classify different types of symmetry, such as rotational, translational, and reflectional symmetry.