1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group of order 765 is abelian

1. Sep 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the group of order 765 is abelian (Hint: let G act by conjugation on a normal Sylow p subgroup)

2. Relevant equations
    Sylow theorems

3. The attempt at a solution
    By using Sylow`s third theorem, I have calculated that the number of Sylow-3 subgroups and Sylow 17 subgroups is both 1; so both of them are normal subgroups of G. I just don't really understand how to proceed from here; by G acting on either one of those subgroups; I get a group homomorphism G->S_Q (where Q is either the Sylow 17 subgroup or Sylow 3 subgroup). I believe that eventual goal is to show that G is cyclic.

Some random thoughts in my head: Aut(Q)=C_16 (Q being the 17-Sylow subgroup). Much thanks and any help is appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2009 #2

MxM

First do a counting argument to show that the number of p-Sylow subgroups for all three values of p must be equal to 1. This will show the p-Sylow subgroups exhaust G. Hence their direct product is isomorphic to G. But each p-Sylow subgroup is abelian (because each order is either prime or a square of a prime) and so all of G is abelian. Done diddly done! You're going to UBC aren't you? :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook