Inferring b^5 = e from b^5a = ab^5 Given a^2 = e

• Thread starter sat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of inferring that b^5 = e from given equations in a group where a^2 = e. It is concluded that this cannot be proven and a counterexample is provided. It is suggested to go back to the original equations to find a solution. The group in question is identified as the dihedral group of the pentagon, generated by elements a and b.
sat
Would it be possible to infer that [itex]b^5 = e[/itex] (where [itex]e[/itex] is the group's identity element) from

[tex]b^{5} a = ab^{5} [/tex]
given that [itex]a^{2}=e[/itex]?

(Basically we are given [itex]b^{2}a=ab^{3}[/itex] and [itex]a^{2}=e[/itex] and asked to show that [itex]b^{5}=e[/itex], though I've managed to infer the "equation" above and I can't quite see how we'd move to inferring what is needed. Maybe it's either very simple and I'm missing it or there's a bit of reasoning that I need.)

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you can't conclude that. All you can conclude is that two elements commute, and there are elements not equal to the identity that commute with other elements in some groups.

Try showing that b^2=b^3, that's the only thing that will work and show b=e

Thanks

Thanks for that. I do agree with what you've said though I thought perhaps there might be some way of manipulating it so that in this special case you could show it.

[itex]b^{2}=b^{3}[/itex] certainly sounds like a way forward.

sat said:
perhaps there might be some way of manipulating it so that in this special case you could show it.

well that is vacuously true since it can be shown 'from this special case' in the first place.

As matt grime has said, it doesn't follow from ab5=b5a and a2=e that b5=e. For example, consider D10, the group of symmetries of a decagon. If a is a reflection and b is a rotation by 36o, then the above two equalities hold. But b5 is not the identity, but a rotation through 180o. In other words, you can't start from these equations and prove your result; you'll have to go back to the original equations.

It's not going out on a limb to suggest that you got the deduction you made from playing around with (ab^3)^2 and (b^2a)^2 and so on. If you play around with those alone you can prove the result. I got to the point of finding that abab^6=b^5 from these manipulations which will give you what you want.

Note I got it wrong when i said show b^3=b^2 cos I misread the question, I thought you wanted to show b=e, rather than b^5=e.

a and b generate the dihedral group of the pentagon.

1. How can we infer b^5 = e from b^5a = ab^5 given a^2 = e?

The key to inferring b^5 = e from b^5a = ab^5 given a^2 = e is to understand the properties of exponents and the relationship between multiplication and exponentiation. By substituting in a^2 = e into b^5a = ab^5, we can rewrite the equation as b^5(e) = a(e)b^5. Since any number raised to the power of 1 is itself, we can simplify this to b^5 = b^5, which means that b^5 must equal e.

2. Why is a^2 = e important in this inference?

In order to infer b^5 = e from b^5a = ab^5, we need to have a known relationship between a and e. This relationship is provided by a^2 = e, which allows us to manipulate the equation and ultimately determine the value of b^5.

3. Can this inference be applied to other equations?

Yes, this inference can be applied to other equations involving exponents and known relationships between variables. As long as the equation follows the same structure as b^5a = ab^5 given a^2 = e, we can use the same process to infer the value of b^5.

4. What other mathematical concepts are important to understand in order to make this inference?

In order to make this inference, it is important to have a strong understanding of the properties of exponents, specifically the power of 1. It is also helpful to have a solid grasp of basic algebra and the relationship between multiplication and exponentiation.

5. Can this inference be used in real-world applications?

While this specific inference may not have direct real-world applications, the underlying mathematical concepts and reasoning can be applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. The ability to manipulate equations and make inferences based on known relationships is a valuable skill in problem-solving and critical thinking.