1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Guass Law

1. Sep 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I. A non-conducting sphere of radius a has a spherically symmetric, but non-uniform charge distribution is placed on it, given by the volume density function: p(r) = C·r, where C is a positive constant, and 0 < r < a.

a. Find an algebraic expression for the total charge Q on the sphere, in terms of the parameters C and a.

II. Use Gauss' Law to find an algebraic expression for the magnitude of the electric field at a distance R from the origin, in each of the following regions. Express your answer in terms of the following four parameters: the electrostatic constant k; the radius a of the sphere; the total charge Q on the sphere; and the radial distance R from the origin to the field point.

b. Within the insulating sphere (i.e. for R <a):

c. Outside the sphere (i.e. for R > a):

3. The attempt at a solution

I got Q = Cpi(a^4) for part a which is correct.

For part 2 I am stuck both b and c.

I got [(KQR^4)/((a^4)(r^2))] which is incorrect.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is this your answer for b) or c)? What is r in your formula?

ehild

4. Sep 16, 2013 #3
    r is what I got with determining K. I got [tex]\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0 r^2},[/tex] but I replaced the 1/4pi e_0 with K.

5. Sep 16, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What does ##r## represent physically? ##R## is the distance from the center of the sphere; ##a## is the radius of the sphere. What is ##r##?

You need to show your work. Just posting an incorrect answer is next to useless for us to see where you're getting stuck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted