Guitar string - standing wave question

In summary, a standard guitar with a string tuned to 440 Hz will have a string length of around 0.625 meters. The material strength limit of steel will mean that the string will break after a short amount of time.
thejoyofmeth
This question is for a conceptual physics class (no trig involved).

1. The wave speed on a tightened guitar string is 880 m/s. What is the shortest length of string that will produce standing waves of 440-hertz frequency? (Be very CAREFUL!)

a. 0.5m
b. 1.0m
c. 1.5m
d. 2.0m
e. none of these

2. velocity = frequency x wavelength

3. 880/440 = 2m

Is 2m correct? I ask because of the warning the instructor placed at the end of the question leads me to believe that the answer isn't so straightforward. If it is incorrect, can you offer any pointers as to what I did wrong or did not take into consideration?

Thanks

[

Physics news on Phys.org
thejoyofmeth said:
Is 2m correct? I ask because of the warning the instructor placed at the end of the question leads me to believe that the answer isn't so straightforward. If it is incorrect, can you offer any pointers as to what I did wrong or did not take into consideration?

First, ask yourself if you've ever seen a guitar with 2 meter strings. :smile: That's a clue.

What formula are you trying to apply? That's another clue?

What is the correct formula for frequency as a function of length? What other things does the formula depend on?

If I had a 0.5 meter string that produced an A note (440 Hz), why couldn't I just tune the note down in pitch slightly and then put my finger on the first fret and get an A note with a shorter length?

stevenb said:
First, ask yourself if you've ever seen a guitar with 2 meter strings. :smile: That's a clue.

What formula are you trying to apply? That's another clue?

What is the correct formula for frequency as a function of length? What other things does the formula depend on?

If I had a 0.5 meter string that produced an A note (440 Hz), why couldn't I just tune the note down in pitch slightly and then put my finger on the first fret and get an A note with a shorter length?

Christ, I don't know. I rode the short bus to school and so a lot of this isn't quite obvious to me. Is it 1 meter?

thejoyofmeth said:
Christ, I don't know. I rode the short bus to school and so a lot of this isn't quite obvious to me. Is it 1 meter?

OK, let's start with some guitar and music facts, which aren't really needed to answer the question. Most guitars have string length just over 0.6 meters (about 25 inches). The 440 Hz is an A note which is the fifth fret (3/4 of the scale length) on the string with highest notes. This is the first string, which is tuned to an E. So right here, we see a real guitar has an A note with length less than 0.5 meters. (OK real guitars may not correspond with the question exactly, but it gives you a feel)

Now, you need to come up with a theoretical explanation based on physics.

The longest string which can be tuned to 440 Hz will be based on the material strength. For example, steel will break somewhere around 0.7 meters with 440 Hz. This is why you don't see standard length guitars with a string tuned to 440 Hz, even though some musicians would like to have that. Some musicians try to use thinner and thinner strings thinking that the high A note can be obtained with 0.625 meter length and reasonable string tension, but the string always breaks after a short amount of time. This is the material strength limit. (OK, so the practical limits may or may not apply, but again it gives you a feel)

Since you are being asked this question, you must be responsible for knowing the relevant formulas here. Put them together and see if you can prove the above practical knowledge mathematically. What does the sound speed tell you about the tension, and how can this be related to the frequency and length. Have you studied strength limits and do you think the question is aimed at that aspect?

Last edited:
Response]

To answer this question, we need to understand the concept of standing waves on a guitar string. Standing waves are formed when two waves of the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. In the case of a guitar string, the waves are created by plucking or strumming the string, and the fixed ends of the string act as nodes where the amplitude is always zero.

Now, let's apply the formula given in the question: velocity = frequency x wavelength. The velocity of the wave on a guitar string is given as 880 m/s. The frequency we are looking for is 440 Hz. So, we can rearrange the formula to solve for wavelength: wavelength = velocity / frequency. Plugging in the given values, we get wavelength = 880 m/s / 440 Hz = 2 m.

However, this wavelength represents the distance between two consecutive nodes on the string. In order to produce a standing wave, we need at least two nodes, one at each end of the string. This means that the shortest length of string that will produce standing waves of 440 Hz frequency is actually twice the wavelength, which is 4 m.

So, the correct answer is none of the given options. It is important to carefully read the question and understand the concept being tested before solving it. In this case, the instructor's warning was to remind students to consider the number of nodes required for a standing wave on a guitar string. I hope this helps clarify any confusion and good luck with your conceptual physics class!

1. How does a guitar string produce a standing wave?

When a guitar string is plucked, it vibrates at a certain frequency, depending on its length, tension, and mass. This vibration creates a standing wave pattern, where the string appears to be still at certain points and moving at others. This is caused by the interference of the original wave and its reflected wave.

2. What is the significance of the standing wave in a guitar string?

The standing wave in a guitar string is important because it determines the pitch of the note produced. The wavelength of the standing wave is directly related to the frequency of the note, and by changing the length, tension, or mass of the string, the standing wave can be altered to produce different pitches.

3. How do different factors affect the standing wave in a guitar string?

The length, tension, and mass of a guitar string all affect the standing wave produced. A shorter string will have a higher frequency and produce a higher pitch, while a longer string will have a lower frequency and produce a lower pitch. A tighter string will have a higher tension and produce a higher pitch, while a looser string will have a lower tension and produce a lower pitch. The mass of the string also affects the frequency and pitch, but to a lesser extent.

4. Can the standing wave in a guitar string be changed?

Yes, the standing wave in a guitar string can be changed by altering the length, tension, or mass of the string. This can be done by adjusting the tuning pegs to change the tension, using a capo to change the length, or changing to a different gauge of string to alter the mass. By changing these factors, different standing wave patterns and notes can be produced.

5. How is the standing wave in a guitar string related to harmonics?

The standing wave in a guitar string is directly related to harmonics. Harmonics are created when the standing wave pattern is interrupted by lightly touching the string at specific points, creating nodes and antinodes. These nodes and antinodes correspond to the different harmonics produced, each with a different frequency and pitch. The first harmonic is the fundamental note, and each subsequent harmonic is an integer multiple of the fundamental frequency.