Gun T-Shirt was a security risk

In summary, the gun T-shirt that a school student was wearing was a "security risk" and was not allowed on an airplane.
phyzmatix
Gun T-Shirt was a "security risk"

Words fail me...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/7431640.stm
The Obituary of Common Sense.

We mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who was with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair, and "maybe it was my fault".
His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place and when criminals started receiving better treatment than their victims. He lost the will to live shortly after one could no longer defend oneself from burglars
in one's own home without running the risk of being sued for assault and had a tremendously tough time shortly after people stopped realising that steaming cups of coffee are hot and will burn you when spilled.
When settlements started being handed down in favour of such evolutionary handicapped people as those "attempting to stop blade with hand", Common Sense could bear it no longer and died of a broken heart.
He is survived by three stepbrothers; "I Know My Rights", "Someone Else is to Blame", and "I'm A Victim".

Physics news on Phys.org
That's it, I've had enough of stupid people. I'm moving to St. Kilda

I remember in elementary school we weren't allowed to wear billabong shirts because of the word bong within the word billabong. Not being allowed on an airplane for shirt with cartoon gun on it... wow. I could *almost* understand if it was a picture of a plane blowing up. But uhh...

matthyaouw said:
That's it, I've had enough of stupid people. I'm moving to St. Kilda

Not far enough, I'm moving to a moon base, just need a little more funding to get the project under way...

Wow moose, that is so sad. I got away with making smoking pipes in sculpture class... IN THE NORTH GA MOUNTAINS! Haha! I can't believe I actually made and fired them! The administration would have crucified me (no religious pun intended :wink:) had I been caught...

moose said:
I remember in elementary school we weren't allowed to wear billabong shirts because of the word bong within the word billabong. Not being allowed on an airplane for shirt with cartoon gun on it... wow. I could *almost* understand if it was a picture of a plane blowing up. But uhh...

And it wasn't even Southwest this time. :uhh:

It was first reported on theregister where a very nerdy member pointed out that the transformer in question is optimus prime - one of the good guy transformers.

My favourite TSA moron story is still taking the 'ninja throwing star' off a pasenger.
The fact the throwing star was a congressional medal of honor and the passenger was wearing a general's uniform didn't deter him.

mgb_phys said:
It was first reported on theregister where a very nerdy member pointed out that the transformer in question is optimus prime - one of the good guy transformers.

My favourite TSA moron story is still taking the 'ninja throwing star' off a pasenger.
The fact the throwing star was a congressional medal of honor and the passenger was wearing a general's uniform didn't deter him.

:rofl: I hadn't heard that one yet. I wonder if these incidents happen with new trainees who are over-zealous in performing their job, or if these people really have stayed on the job that long being morons.

In contrast, while stuck in an overly long security line in AZ (because the airport is designed like crap forcing everyone changing terminals for connecting flights to go back through security rather than being transported through secure areas), one of the TSA agents there was hilarious. He was trying to get everyone to get ready before going through security so the line would move faster, so was going through all the obvious stuff like only being allowed liquids, gels and pastes in 3.4 oz or 100 ml or less in a 1 qt bag, and yes, toothepaste is a paste, it says so right in the name, and if you didn't have a bag, one would be provided for you for free so get one, etc., and then said something like, "If you hold up the line because you didn't listen to what I just told you, you will be forced to sit on the plane next to a crying infant that's not yours." (A few parents in line joked that they had an infant to offer. :rofl:) So, it's amazing how you can get TSA workers who have a great sense of humor and are good at keeping lines moving and try to help everyone along, and then you can get such morons who think a cartoon on a t-shirt is some sort of security threat.

Moonbear said:
In contrast, while stuck in an overly long security line in AZ
Haha Sky Harbor used to be amazing. I still like it, but it definitely used to be a lot better. I remember once standing in a 3 hour line at sky harbor... ugh. I still don't know why a domestic line would be that long, but whatever. All the workers I've ever encountered at sky harbor are really nice, which is probably why I like it...

Moonbear said:
"If you hold up the line because you didn't listen to what I just told you, you will be forced to sit on the plane next to a crying infant that's not yours."

Horror of horrors! :rofl:

1. What is the "Gun T-Shirt security risk" and why is it a concern?

The "Gun T-Shirt security risk" refers to wearing a t-shirt with an image of a gun or any other type of weapon, which can be perceived as a potential threat by security personnel. It is a concern because it can cause alarm and suspicion in public places, such as airports or government buildings, potentially leading to unnecessary security measures being taken.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support the idea that wearing a gun t-shirt is a security risk?

There is no specific scientific research that directly addresses the issue of wearing a gun t-shirt as a security risk. However, studies have shown that people's perceptions and reactions can be influenced by visual cues, such as images of weapons, leading to heightened levels of alertness and suspicion.

3. Are there any laws or regulations against wearing gun t-shirts in public places?

There are no specific laws or regulations that prohibit wearing gun t-shirts in public places. However, security personnel have the right to question and potentially detain individuals who are perceived to be a threat to public safety, which could include those wearing gun t-shirts.

4. Can wearing a gun t-shirt lead to legal consequences?

In most cases, wearing a gun t-shirt in public is not illegal and would not lead to any legal consequences. However, if the t-shirt contains threatening or offensive language or images, it could potentially be considered a form of disorderly conduct or inciting violence, which could result in legal consequences.

5. How can individuals avoid causing unnecessary concern or suspicion while wearing a gun t-shirt?

To avoid causing unnecessary concern or suspicion, individuals can choose to wear different clothing when going to public places where security is present, such as airports or government buildings. Alternatively, they can opt for t-shirts with less provocative images or messages that are less likely to be perceived as a potential threat.