Why Does a Slide-Wire Potentiometer Require a Higher Voltage Battery?

In summary, the conversation discusses various questions related to measuring emf using a slide-wire potentiometer. These questions include why the working battery should have a voltage greater than 2, the difference between the function of a rheostat and a galvanometer, when a voltmeter is more desirable than a potentiometer for measuring voltages, and how to prove that a potentiometer measures the emf of a test cell and not its TPD. The person asking for help is having difficulty with physics and is seeking explanations from others. However, it is suggested that they put more effort into understanding the concepts themselves rather than relying on direct answers.
nutzweb
need everyone's help... pls. explain it to me for those who knows the experiment...thanks!

1) in measuring emf by slide-wire potentiometer, why should the working battery have a voltage greater than 2? why is the galvanometer polarity unimportant?
2)how is the function of a rheostat different from a galvanometer?
3)under what condition is a voltmeter more desirable than apotentiometer for the measurement of voltages?
lastly,
4)how can i prove that the potentiometer measures the emf of the test cell and not its TPD? where do i start in solving this?

guys, pls. help. physics really kills me. really not good in physics i guess...

Physics news on Phys.org
I would love to answer, but I'm afraid you will be learning little from direct answers. I'm sure you will be getting them from your instructor anyway. It even looks as if you didn't take much effort to answer some of the very obvious questions and pasted your homework questions directly. You should think about them carefully. Does a resistor have polarity (does it matter which way goes to the positive side or negative?). How does a galvanometer work? (Hint, its related to current). Do you know what a rheostat is? A potentiometer?

sorry coz' i didn't understand my teacher so i thought i could get better explanations here. it's ok if those are only direct answers, it may help anyways.. thank u for the reply. other answers are still welcome.

1. What is a potentiometer?

A potentiometer is an electronic component that functions as a variable resistor. It is used to control the flow of electric current in a circuit by adjusting the resistance.

2. How does a potentiometer work?

A potentiometer has three terminals - two fixed and one movable. When the movable terminal is moved along the fixed terminals, it changes the resistance of the circuit. This change in resistance alters the flow of current, allowing for control of the circuit.

3. What is the principle behind a potentiometer?

The principle behind a potentiometer is based on the concept of voltage division. When a current is passed through a resistor, the voltage drops across it. By adjusting the resistance of the potentiometer, the voltage can be controlled and divided as desired.

4. What are the applications of a potentiometer?

Potentiometers are used in a variety of applications, such as volume controls in audio devices, dimmer switches for lights, and as sensors in electronic circuits. They are also used in scientific experiments to measure unknown voltages and currents.

5. How can I use a potentiometer in a circuit?

To use a potentiometer in a circuit, you will need to connect the two fixed terminals to a power source and ground, and the movable terminal to the component that you want to control. By adjusting the position of the movable terminal, you can change the resistance and control the flow of current in the circuit.