Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gyroscope torque

1. Apr 17, 2009 #1
    Hello,

I would like to know how react the gyroscope like in this video:

http://gyroscope.com/youtube.asp?movie=4KlddP16uuU

if I stop the rotate around vertical axis. The gravity cause the precession but if I place an object in front of the gyroscope how does it works ?

Thanks

Bull

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2009 #2
    I think Bull is asking: If we were to apply an external torque to resist the induced precession torque, would the gyroscope drop to the ground as if it had no gyroscopic action at all, or would it gently fall to the ground, since some of it's torque due to gravity in the theta direction is still being converted into a precession torque in the phi direction?

I believe if we were to apply a counter-torque to the precession torque, the gryoscope would gently fall the the ground, since it's still exerting the precession torque, it just isn't accompanied by a change in angular momentum. I tried putting up some Latex, but it looks like Latex is down.

Can anyone comment on this?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook