Does Higher Energy in a Hydrogen Atom Affect the Frequency of Emitted Light?

• Thread starter accountkiller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atom
In summary, the frequency of the light emitted when a hydrogen atom decays is not enough information to determine without knowing the energy levels of the excited and ground states. This is because the frequency depends on the energy difference between the two states, not just the energy of the state itself.
accountkiller

Homework Statement

For a hydrogen atom, if the energy of a state (excited or ground) is higher then the frequency of the light emitted when the atom decays is:
Higher, independent of the excited state, lower, or not enough information

Homework Equations

E = hf = hcR(1/(n12 - n22))

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a bit confused on what this means: "If the energy of a state is higher (excited or ground)." It's saying that it decays, so if it was at ground level, what would happen with decay there since it can't go to any lower energy levels?

Also, "frequency of the light emitted" is higher/lower/etc. than what? It's the wording that's got me a little confused here.

I know the answer is not enough information because the electron could decay a short distance or a long distance when it drops down energy levels, hence the photon energy being equal to that difference, depends on the distance. But what is it asking about the frequency?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! It looks like you're on the right track, but let me clarify a few things for you. First, when it says "If the energy of a state is higher (excited or ground)," it means that the atom is in either the excited state or the ground state, and the energy of that state is higher than the other. For example, if the atom is in the excited state, its energy is higher than the ground state.

Next, when it says "frequency of the light emitted," it is referring to the frequency of the photon that is emitted when the atom decays. This frequency is related to the energy difference between the two states, as shown in the equation you provided.

So, to answer the question, the frequency of the light emitted when the atom decays will depend on the energy difference between the two states, not just the energy of the state itself. Therefore, we do not have enough information to determine the frequency without knowing the specific energy levels of the excited and ground states.

I hope that helps clarify things for you! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Related to Does Higher Energy in a Hydrogen Atom Affect the Frequency of Emitted Light?

1. What is the energy level of the hydrogen atom?

The energy level of the hydrogen atom is determined by the principal quantum number, n. The higher the value of n, the higher the energy level. The ground state of the hydrogen atom has an energy level of n=1.

2. How is the energy of an electron in the hydrogen atom calculated?

The energy of an electron in the hydrogen atom is given by the equation E = -13.6/n^2 electron volts (eV), where n is the principal quantum number. This equation is known as the Bohr model of the hydrogen atom.

3. How does the energy of the hydrogen atom relate to its frequency?

The energy of the hydrogen atom is directly proportional to the frequency of the emitted or absorbed photon. This relationship is described by the equation E = hf, where h is Planck's constant (6.626 x 10^-34 joule seconds) and f is the frequency of the photon.

4. How is energy released when an electron transitions from a higher to a lower energy level in the hydrogen atom?

When an electron transitions from a higher to a lower energy level in the hydrogen atom, it releases energy in the form of a photon. The energy of the photon is equal to the difference in energy between the two energy levels.

5. How does the energy of the hydrogen atom change as the electron moves closer to the nucleus?

The energy of the hydrogen atom increases as the electron moves closer to the nucleus. This is because the electron and nucleus have opposite charges, and as they get closer together, the attractive force between them increases, resulting in an increase in energy. This is also reflected in the energy levels, as the energy levels become closer together as the principal quantum number increases.