How Do You Solve Relativity Problems with Perpendicular Velocities?

• Thread starter Electrophy6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, Rocket A has a velocity of 0.8c to the right, relative to Earth. Rocket B has a velocity of 0.6c to the left, relative to Rocket A.
Electrophy6

Homework Statement

Rocket "A" velocity is 0.8c to the right ,reltaive to earth
Rocket "B" velocity is 0.6c to the left , relative to rocket "A"
(This one I succedeed)

My problem was in this question:

Repeat the same problem ,but bow rocket "A" moves 0.8c * upwards *(positive y axis)
For some reason , I didn't make well

Homework Equations

ec64af893d22a57ae43315ae30f82449.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried using these equation while:

V=0.8,vx'=-0.6c,vy'=-0.8

Now , I know I got something wrong but I couldn't figure it out by myself(although I tried)...

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

Please state what the question is asking for.

Oh sorry ,forgot the th most important part
The question is :

"What is the velocity of Rocket B , relative to Earth ?"

Electrophy6 said:
Oh sorry ,forgot the th most important part
The question is :

"What is the velocity of Rocket B , relative to Earth ?"
OK

Just to be totally clear, what frame are you taking to be the "unprimed" frame? Is it the Earth frame, the A-rocket frame, or the B-rocket frame?
Same question for the "primed frame".

Ok ,let's use the following notations

Earth- S
Rocket A- S'
Rocket B- S''(not necessary)

For your list of relevant equations, what basic assumption is made about the direction of the velocity of the primed frame relative to the unprimed frame?

let's say we define the "right" to be the x positive direction and assume rocket A (O') moves in this direction realtive to O (originally S ,S' but it doesn't matter)

1280px-Frames_of_reference_in_relative_motion.svg.png

Oh sorry again ,wrong diagram
S' goes in the y positive direction(upwards) relative to S

Electrophy6 said:
Oh sorry again ,wrong diagram
S' goes in the y positive direction(upwards) relative to S
OK. Back to my earlier question. The equations that you wrote down as the Relevant equations are only valid if the primed frame moves in what direction relative to the unprimed frame?

Sorry , I misunderstood the question
However ,I will try answering it: I guess these equations are true If S' goes to the right relative to S
(So ,does it mean ,they can't fit the directions I just presentd ?)

The formulas you listed assume that the primed frame is moving in the x direction relative to the unprimed frame.
Since rocket A (frame S') moves in the y direction relative to the Earth (frame S), you will not be able to use the equations as written.

Can you see how to modify the equations so that they are applicable?

Maybe ...
in the eqaution of vx should I use Vx
-----------------v
x-------------------Vy
-----------------v
z------------------Vz

?

Electrophy6 said:
Maybe ...
in the eqaution of vx should I use Vx
-----------------v
x-------------------Vy
-----------------v
z------------------Vz

?
I'm not sure I'm following you here.

In the equations that you listed, the relative motion of the two frames is assumed to be along the x direction. In your problem the relative motion is along the y direction. So, you can just replace all the x and x' subscripts in the equations by y and y' subscripts. Likewise, replace all y and y' subscripts in the equations by x and x' subscripts.

Likes Electrophy6
Ohhh you are right

Thank you very much for your patience and for your help!

FAQ: How Do You Solve Relativity Problems with Perpendicular Velocities?

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a scientific explanation of how objects in the universe behave and interact with each other in relation to time and space. It is divided into two parts: special relativity, which deals with objects moving at constant speeds, and general relativity, which deals with objects that are accelerating or in a gravitational field.

2. Who developed the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity was developed by Albert Einstein, a German-born theoretical physicist. His groundbreaking work in this field revolutionized our understanding of the universe and has had a significant impact on modern physics.

3. What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with objects moving at constant speeds, while general relativity deals with objects that are accelerating or in a gravitational field. Special relativity also states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, while general relativity takes into account the effects of gravity on space and time.

4. What are some real-life applications of the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity has many practical applications, such as GPS technology, which relies on the precise measurements of time and space predicted by the theory. It also helps in understanding the behavior of objects at high speeds, such as in particle accelerators, and in studying the properties of black holes and the expanding universe.

5. Is the theory of relativity proven?

The theory of relativity has been extensively tested and confirmed through numerous experiments and observations. Its predictions have been verified by scientists and its principles have been incorporated into many areas of modern physics. However, like all scientific theories, it is subject to continued testing and refinement to further our understanding of the universe.