Haakon Lie with unexpected support for Pape

• News
  • Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Support
In summary: So, in summary, Tom Pape secured that the new US embassy will be built in the Huseby area in Oslo, despite the Labour party's protests. Haakon Lie, the old giant of Norwegian politics, has thrown his support behind Pape. The only strange thing about the whole affair is that the opponents almost managed to kill off this development.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
As everybody knows, Oslo's local Labour Party is in uproar, because Tom Pape decided to vote against the party line and thereby secured that the new US embassy will be built in the Huseby area in Oslo (as the Americans themselves have wanted).

Pape, who has been called disloyal and undemocratic by Jan Bøhler (leader of Oslo's Labour Party) now receives the support from the old giant Haakon Lie (who is 100 years old, and was the secretary general in the national Labour Party for about three decades).

What thoughts have you made on these issues:
1. Should the US embassy be moved from Drammensveien to Huseby?
2. Has Pape been disloyal?
3. Should Haakon Lie shut up&die?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) I have no clue.

2) Ofcourse, though I have also had some respect for politicians with guts to go against what's expected of them.

3)I like the sound of this one, so I'll say yes.

Any way... what exactly is the problem with where they want to build the embassy? Sorry for my ignorance of Norwegian affairs.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Any way... what exactly is the problem with where they want to build the embassy? Sorry for my ignorance of Norwegian affairs
The Huseby area is one of the uppest class districts in Oslo, and the inhabitants don't want their recreational woodlands cut down.

If the Huseby Woods are cut down, the rich guys must travel for half an hour to other recreational areas, rather than for 5 minutes, as it is today.

For some unfathomable reason, the local Labour party empathized with the plight of the rich guys in this particular case..

Is it maybe because there is something special about these particular trees. Is it a rare habitat or anything like that?

This little gem illustrates quite nicely, I think, just how bizarre Norwegian politics is from time to time..

TheStatutoryApe said:
Is it maybe because there is something special about these particular trees. Is it a rare habitat or anything like that?
Nope. Just another (tiny) piece of the same pine&fir woodlands that covers 70% of our capital's municipality. :smile:

Last edited:
Hmmm... so then it's not necessarily a bad thing that Pape went the other way on this then? Are there other problems?

TheStatutoryApe said:
Hmmm... so then it's not necessarily a bad thing that Pape went the other way on this then? Are there other problems?
Not that I know of.
In fact, the present US embassy (in Drammensveien) lies in the heart of our capital (a stone's throw from the Royal Palace), and the extra security measures the Americans have demanded around their embassy would have made a lot of nuisance for the local population (in terms of moving about in the centre of our own capital).

By removing the embassy to the Huseby area, these problems won't surface.

The only strange thing about the whole affair is that the opponents almost managed to kill off this development.

In my view, Tom Pape is a hero.

As a note, Haakon Lie has a standing in Norway as a combination of Franklin D. Roosevelt&Joseph McCarthy (yes, I know, Norwegian politics IS weird..)

Last edited:
arildno said:
(snip)For some unfathomable reason, the local Labour party empathized with the plight of the rich guys in this particular case..

Real estate scam? Or scams? Downtown "development" and block-busting the ritzy neighborhood vs. unknown sums under the table to block the project vs. those unknown sums being insufficient?

Bystander said:
Real estate scam? Or scams? Downtown "development" and block-busting the ritzy neighborhood vs. unknown sums under the table to block the project vs. those unknown sums being insufficient?
Actually no:
The local Labour party decided they might win a few voters in the Huseby area in the general election last September by going against the relocation of the embassy to Huseby.

However, they hadn't cleared this issue with the national labour party (who won the election this year). The prime minister (from their own party) has wanted to move the embassy to Huseby, but the local party bosses was against it all the same. They almost managed to thwart the national government's wishes on this issue..

arildno said:
Actually no:
The local Labour party decided they might win a few voters in the Huseby area in the general election last September by going against the relocation of the embassy to Huseby.

Normal politics.

However, they hadn't cleared this issue with the national labour party (who won the election this year). The prime minister (from their own party) has wanted to move the embassy to Huseby, but the local party bosses was against it all the same.

Huseby bribes local bosses --- again, normal politics.

They almost managed to thwart the national government's wishes on this issue..

What are the main points of the "Haakon Lie with unexpected support for Pape" article?

The main points of the article are the surprising endorsement of Norwegian politician Haakon Lie for his political opponent, conservative candidate Per Pape, and the potential impact of this endorsement on the upcoming election.

Who is Haakon Lie and why is his support for Pape unexpected?

Haakon Lie is a well-known Norwegian politician and former member of the Labour Party. His support for Pape, who belongs to the conservative party, is unexpected because Lie has been a strong advocate for left-wing politics throughout his career.

What is the significance of this endorsement for the upcoming election?

The endorsement of Haakon Lie, a respected and influential figure in Norwegian politics, could potentially sway voters who were previously undecided or loyal to the Labour Party. It also highlights the growing discontent with the current government and the potential for a shift in political power.

What has been the reaction to Haakon Lie's endorsement?

The endorsement has sparked debate and surprise among both politicians and the public. Some view it as a betrayal of Lie's political beliefs, while others see it as a strategic move to unite against the current government. Pape and his party have welcomed the support, while the Labour Party has expressed disappointment.

What could be the implications of this endorsement in the long term?

If Pape and his party are successful in the upcoming election, it could lead to significant changes in Norwegian politics and policies. It could also pave the way for future collaborations and alliances between the Labour Party and the conservative party, which could have a lasting impact on the country's political landscape.