Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hair color - Curiousity

1. Jul 25, 2004 #1
    Hair color -- Curiousity

i have just learnt from my biology class that Sulfur plays an important role hair structure, but I am still looking for (an) answers to what makes people's hair colors different.
    By the way, can you tell me as to why black people have different hair style - so black, so short, and so strong.?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The three factors that determine natural hair color are the type of melanin stored in the cortex of the hair, how many melanin granules exist and whether those granules are close together or far apart. The natural color of hair depends on the ratio and quantities of two other proteins, eumelanin and phaeomelanin. Eumelanin is responsible for brown to black hair shades while phaeomelanin is responsible for golden blond, ginger, and red colors. The absence of either type of melanin produces white/gray hair.

Black — It contains densely packed melanin granules full of black pigment.

Brown — It contains a loose pattern of black-filled granules OR granules blended with both black and red/yellow pigments.

Blonde — It contains very few granules with very little bits of black pigment.

Red — It contains loosely packed granules containing red/yellow pigment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?